• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not seen this before--hairy chayote

janeer

I saw these in the international market yesterday, right next to the usual, smooth-skinned chayote (mirliton); both were labeled chayote. I've never seen these. I assumed they are sort of chayote au naturel--before husking or something--but maybe not? If so, why would you ever want these instead of the ones that have already been freed from their shells? The same reason you buy fresh coconut or peanuts? If not, what are they and what do you do with them?

chayote jpg.jpg

This is the variety you found.

They show up from time to time in the local Hispanic markets and in the Philippine market, which is one of my favorite places to find unusual fruits and veg.

That site has two recipes - I have tried them both and both are very good but my personal preference is for the casserole. I also like it cold, drizzled with a little EVOO and a dash of balsamic v.

Also, chayote, whatever variety you choose, make great pickles.

And don't throw away the seed, it too is edible.

The younger fruit can be peeled, chopped and added raw to salads and combined with jicama, dressed with a citrus-based dressing and tossed with a little dried ground chile pepper (choose your own degree of heat) makes a great summer salad to accompany barbecue, especially pork. My Mexican neighbors make this dish to serve with barbecued goat. Delicious!

For the variety you found, my neighbor singes the spines off before peeling - just impales each one on a fork and turns it over the gas flame on her stove.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks! So it seems as if you use this just as you use the more widely available mirliton type? The casserole recipe is for the other kind. I often make jicama the way you describe so will try it with chayote as well. In Jamaica years ago I stayed in a house with a cook who made the most amazing chayote pie. I ate it practically every day.

I'm still wondering, though: why would you go to the trouble of singing off the fuzz, and anything else you need to do, if you can get the other more effortless variety? Is this "heirloom" type richer/tastier? If so, I'll certainly make the effort. I wonder if you could just roast it as is and peel it.

The taste is really not that different. Rather bland, to my taste.

The customers of the Mexican market usually buy things based on price and these are often a bit cheaper than the smooth ones.

I don't know why but that is just the way they are marketed here.

Some people may have a personal preference for a particular variety but I don't know of this from my own experience.

Perhaps some people just like a bit of a challenge.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett