• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fancy Food Show 2010 Tips for Newbie?

webhund

I'm going to the summer Fancy Food Show at the Javits Center later this month. This will be my first time attending and so I'm looking for suggestions, tips, and advice for those who have gone before me. Based on some prior e-Gullet reports, I'm planning on going all day Monday and Tuesday to avoid the Sunday crowd. While previous reports have been very helpful in understanding the overall show better, I'm most in need of any advice, recommendations, and tips for one who will be attending for the first time as a potential retail buyer and needing to establish relationships with vendors and suppliers. (If it helps at all, our primary interest is in flavorings and seasoning ingredients (herbs, spices, etc...), not prepared foods). For example, is pricing discussed at the show or is that usually left for later? What else would be helpful to know if attending as a retailer?

I want to make the most of what sounds like a great event, but also a hectic one. I'm fairly new to the commercial food scene, so take it easy on this newbie!