• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L' Orcio, Fine Italian in New Haven, CT

Scargo

Most are familiar with Italian on Wooster Street in New Haven. Then there's Sally's and Pepe's. We like Tre Scalini at the end of the street, but it is looking run-down with the old carpet and it has no outdoor dining. It didn't thrill us the last time.

L' Orcio does. We just ate outside in their nice, quiet garden setting with wisteria all above for shade. I think everyone was dining outside when we ate there yesterday.

We had a nice bruschetta, but the toast was very lightly toasted. Almost not at all. The sea bass I had and the salmon SO had were perfect in every way. The garlic in my sauteed spinach was burned till completely black and, of course, very bitter. I asked our waitress if it was by design. She said she would see. She never returned with a reply and I was not comped in any way. The salad and the roasted potatoes were fine.

As we were paying I asked again. She said, "no, it was not supposed to be burned". I don't know why she would blow me off and not address an obvious problem. Why was it served in the first place?

This is the first time, in a dozen times here, I have been treated poorly by staff or had a food problem. I'll get over it and return because it is a minor hiccup in usually stellar food and service. Eat outside if you can!

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...