• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan on 55th and 2nd

FoodMuse

What's good? What do you love here?

Going tonight, thought I'd check in with you lot.

I'll def being getting the Beef with Cumin that I always get at the St. Mark's location. The locations are related right?

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I ate there some years ago and I remember being very surprised at how good it was. I wished I remembered specific dishes, but I don't. I do remember asking the waiter to help us with the selections and that worked out very well. Best of luck. -mark

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

This place is spectacular.

Ordered:

Whole dish in a sweet sauce. Sauce was overwhelming the dish. Next time I'll just get it flash fried.

Cold Eggplant in hot(spicy) oil. Very good contrast with hot dishes.

Tea Smoked Duck. This was the standout dish. Moist meet and crispy skin. Perfect.

Young gord, sauteed in a mild sauce. Very good. Would get this again.

A cold Conch app. Eh, texture was odd. I don't recommend it.

I'll be back. They didn't have the Beef with cumin on the menu though. Darnit.

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

This has always been my favorite Grand Sichuan branch.

First off, their dan dan noodles are fantastic. They're not the chile oil version, but the one made with some sesame paste. I also really dig the fried soft shell crab dish, which is like a dry fried version subbing softshells for chicken. All the eggplant preparations are really good. I also like the spicy cow tongue.

Really, I'm not sure why this place isn't more well known.

ChiefHDB

Law & Food