• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

12 hours ago, weedy said:

The value for Btus for the gas is meaningless in this "study".

I don't think anyone has ever claimed gas is as efficient as induction measured at the point of use.  It's that bothersome little detail of having to generate the electricity that brings efficiencies closer.  And the relative prevailing prices for gas and electricity can easily be such that cooking with gas is cheaper.

Likewise, I don't think anyone has claimed gas will win a speed-boil race against induction.  But such a race isn't a very realistic way to assess overall efficiency.  The CenturyLife tests show that, the longer the cooking task, the less efficient induction is--to the point that it's slightly LESS efficient than electric coil.

boilsover

boilsover

12 hours ago, weedy said:

The value for Btus for the gas is meaningless in this "study".

I don't think anyone has ever claimed gas is as efficient as induction measured at the point of use.  It's that bothersome little detail of having to generate the electricity that brings efficiencies closer.

Likewise, I don't think anyone has claimed gas will win a speed-boil race against induction.  But such a race isn't a very realistic way to assess overall efficiency.  The CenturyLife tests show that, the longer the cooking task, the less efficient induction is--to the point that it's slightly LESS efficient than electric coil.