• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best bets at buca on king west in Toronto

phoenikia

Have any of you dined at Buca? If you have, which dishes would you recommend?

I've heard great things about their flatcrust pizza, as well as their gnocchi and pastas. Although no menu is posted on Buca's website: http://www.buca.ca/ , their twitter stream: http://twitter.com/bucatoronto often mentions daily specials that sound innovative and/or interesting.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Edited by phoenikia (log)

Got a chance to try over a dozen dishes at Buca while dining with some friends.

The pizzas are unlike any other pizzas I've tried- very crisp, light dough- with interesting toppings such as mortadella or ramps or white anchovies. Liked the pigs' ears and grilled radicchio. Good to see so many seasonal and/or local ingredients, such as ramps, fiddleheads, softshell crab and rhubarb on the menu.

I'll definitely be back, and look forward to trying more dishes on the menu.

Most of the appetizers/antipasti were in the $8-$12 range. The pastas were mostly $16-$20. The polenta with veal/ricotta meatballs and sausage (which was more substantial than the pastas) was $26 IIRC. We didn't order any primi, but I think they were in the $24-$30 range.

Our group of 7 ordered 7 alcoholic drinks, around 4 appetizers, 3/4 sides, 4 pizzas, 3 pastas, 1 gnocchi, 1 polenta and 3 gelati, and the bill came around $500 including tax and tip.

I thought the price was fair, and I think my dining companions did, but I have other less foodcentric friends who think Buca is expensive for what you get.

The portions are more along the lines of what one would expect in an upscale restaurant/osteria in Italy, rather than what you'd expect at a trattoria. This isn't the place to go for a hearty Italian meal in TO. The portion sizes are similar to what I'd expect at Zucca, the Wine Bar or Globe Bistro.