• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats in Washington Square Nabe?

zoe b

Washington Square--West Village area--we have to take some family--including kids-- out--not for a relaxing dinner with some wine, etc--a hurried dinner with impatient people.

So I'm thinking pizza--but someplace decent, or a noodle bar, they'll eat chinese, but it will have to be fairly unadventurous as they are chain restaurant people.

We'd like to show them something they couldn't get at home, but it needs to be something they'll enjoy.

Any thoughts?

What time and what day of the week? Otto is the first thing that comes to mind. You get points for a celebrity chef plus very decent but safe food, all within a block of the park. It gets busy later, and can be loud, but is very kid-friendly.

Not far, on Houston and Thompson Streets, Arturo's for real NY style pizza and other old-school Italian (we like the baked clams).

Great art (from the late Arturo himself) stuff on the walls and a jazz trio in the front room, too. Perfect for the kids.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Not far, on Houston and Thompson Streets, Arturo's for real NY style pizza and other old-school Italian (we like the baked clams).

Great art (from the late Arturo himself) stuff on the walls and a jazz trio in the front room, too. Perfect for the kids.

hah--funny you should mention Arturo's--it was tops on my list--as much as i think it would be fun to go to Otto's, i don't think the fam know who Batali is.

But Otto's is still there just in case..

I also have Rice N Beans (ate at the 9th Ave one a few years ago & thought it was decent, and a noodle shop/Chinese, can't remember the name right now.

Thanks for the input--will post back tomorrow.

My Hub's grandson is competing in a Ballet competition so we're going to see his performance tonight.

Sad to say, we never got to eat anywhere at all--hit some dive for Happy Hour before the performance, by the time it was over everyone just needed to get home...

Luckily I'd brought some cheese & crackers & apples in the car (the cheese was fabulous-- from Bobolink-Bobolink-Foret, ale-washed cheese--Bobolink is a vendor at the market i do--Stockton Farmer's Market))so we didn't starve to death.

Thanks anyway for the tips.