• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English/British/UK foodstuffs in Philly

mattohara

which is located here but is not bumping up to the top for some reason.

from the bottom of that thread, in reply to mrbigjas:

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 AM

mrbigjas, on 21 February 2006 - 09:04 AM, said:

bumping this thread up -- have any of you seen places around town that sell english crisps? you know, walkers, mccoys, hula hoops, etc. in flavors like oxtail, ham and mustard, baked beans on toast, smoky bacon, etc...

i have a friend who goes to england and brings me back the meat flavored crisps i request, but he doesn't go often enough for my tastes.

The Irish Sweets store on 8th and South (which has moved and renamed a few times now, just look for the hookahs) had a huge selection of crisps, including Hula Hoops. I haven't been in a while so they may not have all of this stuff anymore. I'll check today. I don't remember seeing the flavors listed above but there were some other interesting ones.

I just found out that you can get Marmite and, to a lesser extent, Vegemite on Amazon. I've also placed some Treacle, Spotted Dick and Canned Haggis in my wishlist. I figure it would be a great gift someday when I've totally forgotten about them. They also have (fake) bacon salts in a variety of flavors and baconnaise and a number of other odd foods. Wegman's always has an awesome overseas selection as well.

Change of topic: I know I can get Marmite at Superfresh-Delaware Ave. and Wegman's Cherry Hill, but does anybody know where I can get Vegemite? I'm addicted to Marmite and want to compare the two.

Edited by mattohara (log)

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Ants Pants Cafe, 22nd and South serves it. They claim to be the only place in greater Philadelphia that serves it ...

www.About-Australia-Shop.com sells it. Also, there is a new product that combines cream cheese and vegemite. Kraft also released a new version of vegemite in Oz this past year, and it was very successful. For more discussion of it, see WSJ

There's a Sunoco on West Chester Pike in Upper Darby (near Pica's; it's got a big green shamrock in the window facing the street) that sells a ton of Irish food - Kerry Gold butter, Irish bacon and sausage, bread, tons of candy from the British Isles. I've never looked for crisps or Marmite/Vegemite there but I wouldn't be surprised if they had them.

BROG, a beer blog