• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plum Pudding

lesliec

Just been to the pub for my traditional Friday lunch (cider and chips, since you ask). As is my custom around this time of year, I scrounged some Guinness for my Christmas pud, which I will put together in the next week or so.

A question arises: the recipe I have is for Traditional Plum Pudding, and it's a stunning mix of sultanas, raisins, currants, ginger, figs, carrot, apple - everything, in short, bar plums. I don't believe I've ever seen a Christmas pudding recipe which included plums, but Plum Pudding is a common term for such items. So ... why plums?

I surmise there is probably an answer from the mists of time, when plums were indeed included (just as mince pies were formerly made with meat along with various dried fruits and spices). Has any eGulleter got anything reliable on this, to satisfy my curiosity and that of my Friday lunch companions?

Yours festively,

Leslie

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Thanks, Darienne.

It's a good start - prunes (= plums) added at the time of Elizabeth I.

Have a great weekend,

Leslie

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

According to the OED, one definition of plum is "a dried grape or raisin as used for puddings, cakes, etc. Now rare except in certain combs." I've never seen a recipe for Christmas pudding that had prunes in it but most, if not all, have raisins or sultanas.

Funny, I've never actually heard anyone from England call it plum pudding, all the Brits I know (including the one I married) refer to the dessert as Christmas pudding.

Abigail Blake

Sugar Apple: Posts from the Caribbean

http://www.abigailblake.com/sugarapple

"Sometimes spaghetti likes to be alone." Big Night

Hi Linda.

Yep, very happy to share. It might take me a day or two (I don't think I've got an electronic version, so I'll need to transcribe), but I'll put it in RecipeGullet and let you know when it's there.

In the meantime, start accumulating figs, marmalade, brandy, dark ale, sultanas, ginger, currants, carrots, raisins, ...

My eG Foodblog

Hi Linda.

Yep, very happy to share. It might take me a day or two (I don't think I've got an electronic version, so I'll need to transcribe), but I'll put it in RecipeGullet and let you know when it's there.

In the meantime, start accumulating figs, marmalade, brandy, dark ale, sultanas, ginger, currants, carrots, raisins, ...

And plums?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, behave. We will have no trifling with my pudding, lest we make fools of ourselves. No, no plums (although according to Abigail's definition above, there are).

Attention, one and all: if you turn your attention here, you will find the recipe in all its glory. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a little time-consuming but not particularly difficult, and if you have leftovers I'm happy to take them off your hands.

It may seem early but ... Merry Christmas, everybody!

My eG Foodblog

Jaymes, behave. We will have no trifling with my pudding, lest we make fools of ourselves. No, no plums (although according to Abigail's definition above, there are).

Truly wicked, that is. :biggrin:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.