• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marzipan Tartlets with Apricot Glaze

ruthcooks

Marzipan Tartlets with Apricot Glaze

Serves 36 as Dessert.

When I was catering lots of holiday parties, mostly buffets, I served a “Dessert Selection”. The selection consisted of about six kinds of tarts, truffles, cookies and other pastries to start. As the season passed and the selection diminished, I would occasionally bake two or three more goodies to fill in. This recipe was one of my favorites, especially because it could be prepared totally ahead.

The original recipe—wherever it came from—was topped with a powdered sugar, orange or lemon juice and almond extract glaze. The apricot glaze I substitute is much more elegant and tasty.

Tart dough is very difficult to press into the tiny tart pans, so I’ve doubled the batch to make 48 thicker, easier to manage shells. Freeze the extra dozen to fill with lemon curd, chocolate ganache or whatever strikes your fancy. Or, forget all the trouble and try using those tiny phyllo tart shells from the grocer’s freezer. No need to bake them before filling.

tart pans with 12 tiny tarts each

Tart dough (double batch):

• 2/3 c butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • 2 c flour
  • Dash salt

Almond Filling:

• 1/3 c butter, softened
  • 4 oz almond paste
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

Glaze and decoration:

• 1 jar apricot jam, any size
  • 1 T lemon juice, water, or apricot brandy
  • 36 whole blanched almonds

Tart dough: combine all ingredients in electric mixer bowl and beat until combined.

On waxed paper, parchment or cling film, form the dough into a square. Chill for about an hour. Cut the dough into four equal square, then cut each square into 12 tiny squares. Roll each tiny square into a ball and press balls onto tart pan sides and bottoms. If dough gets too sticky, chill a few minutes.

Bake tart shells at 375 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, mix up filling.

Almond Filling: Combine butter and marzipan in mixing bowl (same one, no washing) until smooth. If your almond paste is very thick, grate it into the bowl using the large holes of a box grater. Or, dump it into your food processor. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.

Portion filling into 36 of the warm tart shells, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.

Glaze: Warm jam and liquid of choice in microwave or in small pan on the stove. If using a large jar of jam, you may have to add a bit more liquid. Put through sieve to remove lumps. Using a pastry brush, paint the tops of the tarts. Place a whole, blanched almond in the center of each tart. Allow to dry at room temperature, uncovered, until the jam is set. Remove from pans and use within a day or two, or freeze for up to several weeks.

Note: if you have jam left over, simply store it in it’s original jar and use at will.

As mentioned in “Dessert Minis for a Shower” thread

HERE:

Keywords: Dessert, Tart, Intermediate, Christmas

( RG2005 )

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali