• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

johnnyd's Quick Meditteranean Cod

johnnyd

johnnyd's Quick Meditteranean Cod

A fisherman friend dropped by with 20 lbs of fresh cod. What to do? I remember a tomato-based cod stew from Spain/Portugal that I tried to re-create here. Feel free to adjust/add/subtract at will.

Also, use as a base for "Zarzuela", a spanish seafood "riot of the table", or other tomato-based seafood creations.

Sauce:

1 large onion - chopped

1 poblano pepper - chopped

3 cloves garlic - chopped

Oregano - liberal shakes

Saffron - one healthy pinch

1 tsp whole coriander seed

1 tsp paprika

1 big bayleaf

simmer above gently in rendered salt pork fat (or Olive Oil) until soft and fragrant, then add

2 cans diced tomato w/ juice

1 cup chicken stock

1 cup white wine

1/2 lb sauteed chorizo slices

simmer gently for fifteen minutes, then add

3 or 4 pounds of codfish cut in two-inch chunks

salt pork cracklings if desired.

Keep heat low and allow Cod to come to temperature and become firm. Cod will flake apart into sauce. Serve with good country bread and white wine.

Keywords: Seafood, Spanish/Portugese

( RG1981 )

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com