• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutch cheesecrepes, kaaspannenkoeken

Chufi

Dutch cheesecrepes, kaaspannenkoeken

Dutch kaaspannenkoeken (cheese crepes) are simply pancakes, made from a thin batter, with a lyer of cheese in the middle. The cheese will ooze out when you cut into the pancake.

By all means make your own favorite crepe batter. I normally don't use a recipe for my crepe batter, but just mix eggs, milk and flour together until it looks right. The batter should be fairly thin and pourable.

For the cheese, use any flavorful cheese that will melt well. I always use slices because that's what I always have in the fridge, but you could use grated cheese if that's what you have.

This amount of batter will make about 4 small pancakes. I use a 9 inch frying pan.

• 2 large eggs
  • 200 g flour
  • 250 ml milk
  • pinch of salt
  • sliced cheese
  • butter for frying

Mix the eggs, milk, flour, and inch of salt together.

Heat your pan. Add a little knob of butter. After ladling in a thin layer of batter, and swirling it around to coat your pan, quickly cover the uncooked top of the crepe with thin slices of cheese

Now, quickly pour some more batter ontop of the cheese slices. The trick is to have this layer of batter as thin as possible, just a mere coating of the cheese.

Cook until you can see that the cheese is melting and the top layer of batter is starting to set. Flip and cook for another minute. Some of the cheese will ooze out and start to fry and crisp in the pan, but that only makes it more delicious.

These crepes are served 'wrong' way up, otherwise you would not be able to see the cheese.

Keywords: Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Easy

( RG1781 )