• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paprika Chicken

fifi

Paprika Chicken

I came up with this about 15 years ago. I have no idea why other than it seemed like a good idea at the time. It was. Discussion with some friends recently brought it back to mind. As simple as it is, it is incredibly delicious. As you might expect, the paprika is the star here so use a good one. My standard is the Szeged Hungarian Sweet. I sometimes add a bit of the hot. Adding some smoked is also a good idea. It is interesting to experiment with the variations so please see the notes below. This basic recipe is the simplest rendition.

• 4 medium yellow onions
  • Salt
  • 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (bone in is ok, just get rid of the skin)
  • 1/2 cup paprika

Peel onions, slice in half vertically and then into slices about ¼ inch thick.

In a heavy Dutch oven, line the bottom with the onion strips.

Lightly salt the thighs. Place them in a large zipper top baggie, for 8 thighs a 2 gallon is most convenient. Pour in the paprika and toss around, evenly coating the thighs. The coating will be heavy.

Lay the thighs in a single layer on top of the onions. Put the lid on and put into a 275F oven for 2 to 3 hours. (See alternate cooking methods below.)

Remove the chicken and set aside. It should be falling apart tender. The amount of liquid can be quite variable and unpredictable depending on the amount of water in the onions. If there is too much liquid, move the pot to the stove top and reduce down to a consistency that you like.

Serve over egg noodles, spaetzle, or rice.

Notes:

Experiment with the many varieties of paprika.

Thicken the liquid with sour cream.

Add a little garlic powder, just not too much.

If you want to go shopping, this can also be done in a crock pot on high for about 4 hours or low for about 6. Timing isn’t critical. When it gets fall apart tender it is done and you can’t really overcook it. (Well, I guess you could forget about it and cremate it.)

Leftovers make great sandwiches, salads, quesadillas, tacos and burritos. For that reason I usually make 8 but this is easily halved in a smaller pot to serve 2. For that I use my 2 ½ quart Le Creuset.

You can use breast but it isn’t as good. You can also use miscellaneous chicken parts. Whatever you do, remove the skin. It just blocks the paprika flavor from permeating the meat and is a soggy mess that isn’t very appetizing.

Alternate cooking methods:

Crock pot on low 5 to 6 hours

Crock pot on high 3 to 4 hours

Heavy pot in 250 F oven 3 to 4 hours

Check out the Confessions of a paprika addict.

Keywords: Main Dish, Easy, Chicken

( RG1194 )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose