• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic and Black Pepper Pork

tharrison

Garlic and Black Pepper Pork

Serves 4 as Main Dish.

One of my favorite Thai dishes, Mu Kratiem Prik Thai. It's not authentic but I always add broccoli or snow peas to this. Serve with steamed jasmine rice. Add more garlic and black pepper for more heat.

• 3/4 lb pork tenderloin, sliced into thin pieces (cut when partially frozen this is easiest)
  • 3 T peanut oil (or vegetable oil of choice)

Seasoning Paste

• 20 large cloves garlic
  • 1 T black peppercorns

Sauce

• 1/4 c plus 1 tablespoon sweet black soy sauce
  • 2 T palm sugar or light brown sugar
  • 2 T nam pla (fish sauce)
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into florets

Seasoning Paste

1. Mash the garlic and peppercorns together in a mortar and pestle or chop the garlic and mash into a paste with the side of a knife and then mix with pepper ground in a spice mill.

Cooking Method:

1. Place the garlic paste in a bowl. Place the sweet black soy in another bowl. Mix sugar and fish sauce in another bowl until sugar is mostly dissolved. Move all ingredients close to the stove.

2. Heat a wok or large pan on high heat. When hot add the oil. When oil is hot, add the garlic-pepper mixture and fry until garlic is golden and fragrant. Do not burn.

3. Add the pork. Fry about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until pork is about halfway done cooking. Add the broccoli.

4. Add the sweet back soy sauce. Cook about 30 seconds then add the nam pla and palm sugar mixture.

5. Cook just until the pork is done and broccoli is crisp-tender. Check seasonings for balance and adjust.

Keywords: Main Dish, Easy, Pork, Dinner, Hot and Spicy, Thai

( RG959 )

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA