• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb-Maple Muffins

ruthcooks

Rhubarb-Maple Muffins

Serves 12.

The original recipe for these came from Sarah Leah Chase’s “Cold-Weather Cooking”. I really like her cookbooks; she was one of the writers on the “Silver Palate Cookbook”. I have made changes in the recipe, both ingredients and method,so that it’s pretty much my recipe now, but thanks to her for the idea. My version is moist and tender when fresh, but, like all muffins, suffers from day after blues.

• 2 c diced rhubarb, cut 1/2 inch
  • 1/2 c brown sugar or Whey-Low Gold
  • 2-1/4 c flour (fluff, spoon and sweep method)
  • 1 T baking powder
  • Dash salt
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1/2 c unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 c maple syrup
  • 1 egg , large or extra large
  • 2/3 c milk
  • 1 tsp grated orange rind

Remember to start the rhubarb ahead. In a small bowl, mix rhubarb with brown sugar and let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg with a whisk.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Give the rhubarb a last stir and add the accumulate juices and sugar to the maple syrup. Whisk syrup into butter. Add egg and whisk until well combined. Whisk in milk and orange rind.

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Dump rhubarb on top and stir just the flour and rhubarb together to coat rhubarb. Now fold ingredients all together just until mixture is of an even consistency. Don’t over mix.

Spray 12 1/2-cup-capacity muffin cups very thoroughly with vegetable spray. Fill cups with an ice cream scoop. Don’t worry about over-filling, just use the batter all up.

Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until tops spring back when lightly touched or a toothpick comes out clean. Muffins will be an even color, not browner on top.

Notes: Regular muffin tins hold either 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup batter; you want the 1/2 cup size or else you may have to make more than a dozen. Instead of orange zest, Sarah used lemon; she also added 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans.

Keywords: Easy, Breakfast, Brunch, Bread

( RG1257 )

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali