• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Venison?

sgschef

My 13 year old son loves to try any and every type of food. He has asked to dine out on venison--do you have any suggestions for a restaurant in the central part of Jersey that prepares venison. We are trying to keep the price down for this visit if possible. Thanks for the help.

do you have any suggestions for a restaurant in the central part of Jersey that prepares venison.

Sergeantsville Inn, Sergeantsville -- not the most exciting preparations, but it does offer a very wide selection of game -- large portions as reasonable prices

Other places, but need to confirm if venison is on the menu:

Harvest Moon Inn, Ringoes

Stage Left, New Brunswick

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

Venison is not a cheap meat. In any case, call Sergeantsville Inn, Sergeantsville and ask if they still have it on the menu. They specialize in game meats. It's a lovely stone restaurant dating from the 1700's and is near the only covered bridge in NJ. It's a lovely drive. Let us know where you end up.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

This is "prime time" for venison to appear on restaurant menus. It could easily appear as a special on any given night these days. But, as already stated, it's not cheap.

Having said that... I noticed that Pierre's in Harding (which might be a little north for you) has venison on its menu for tonight at around $26. And The Frog & the Peach (New Brunswick) has venison on the menu for $35. I think I also may have recently seen it on the menu posted at Soho on George in New Brunswick, but I may be mistaken.

In addition, I believe The Grain House in Basking Ridge has venison as part of an upcoming wine dinner. Like I said, 'tis the season...

Good luck!

Dear sqschef,

Please email me with your email or phone number. I would love for your son's first Venison experience to be at The Frog and The Peach. We can discuss how to make that happen.

Sincerely,

Betsy Alger

Proprietor

The Frog and The Peach

ewalger@frogandpeach.com

732 846-3216 ext.19

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Dear sqschef,

Please email me with your email or phone number.  I would love for your son's first Venison experience to be at The Frog and The Peach.  We can discuss how to make that happen.

Sincerely,

Betsy Alger

Proprietor

The Frog and The Peach

ewalger@frogandpeach.com

732 846-3216 ext.19

Nice touch.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Jeez, while everyone else is soliciting I might as well jump on the bandwagon .

I do venision tenderloin with shallots, poached pears in a vintage port wine reduction with spaghetti squash.

I know I'm not in the area you're looking for but if anyone else is interested.....

I think that it is wonderful that the restaurateurs are participating on this board. I think the young man should try venison at a few restaurants so he can compare the different cooking styles and cuisines.

In any case please give us a report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE