• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tortilla de Patata

Jaymes

Tortilla de Patata

• 2 lbs potatoes (I prefer baking potatoes)
  • 1/2 c good-quality olive oil
  • 1/4 c chopped onion
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 6 eggs

Peel and slice potatoes thinly.

Heat the oil in a skillet, over medium-low heat. Add the potatoes and begin slowly turning in the oil.

After about 10-15 minutes, add onions and sprinkle with half the salt.

Continue to cook, turning and stirring, until potatoes are tender. Be very careful not to brown potatoes.

Beat eggs in large bowl. Add other half of salt.

Put the lid of the skillet on and hold it while you drain excess oil into a bowl or cup.

Pour the potatoes into the bowl with the eggs and stir to coat well.

Now - I take a clean, non-stick 10" skillet, and pour about half of the reserved oil into it (sometimes I have a hard time with the tortilla sticking in the skillet I've just used - so it works better for me to get a fresh one).

When the oil is warmed, pour in the egg & potato mixture.

Cook over low-medium heat until the tortilla is set. Don't let it get too brown on the bottom.

Place a dinner plate over the tortilla and invert it onto the plate. Pour a little more of the olive oil into the skillet and slip the tortilla back into the skillet to brown the reverse side.

Cook on this side for about 4-5 minutes until tortilla is nicely browned.

Slide tortilla out onto plate and drizzle with remaining oil and serve hot or cold.

Keywords: Main Dish, Potatoes

( RG362 )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.