• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fairway Cafe

MartyL

So the eGullet mass hypnosis drove me, wifey, her sister and husband to the oasis of beef on the second floor of Fairway tonight. The meal was aces. Strip steak too big by half to finish. Salads very steakhouse. Roquefort dressing on iceberg lettuce was spectacular. Mitchell was like a nervous uncle, spooning more au gratin potatos on my plate 'cause I hadn't eaten enough. All in all, a classic steakhouse meal. My B.I.L said it was like a meal you'd have in your own home, and I agree. the lemon tart was great, so was the chocolate layer cake. I could eat there only once a month if that. Couldn't ask for a better steak.

Last night we went to see what it was all about. The steaks were very good,sides as previously reported just OK. But the atmosphere could best be described as... like eating at Stew Leonards. Shopping downstairs after added to the effect. :smile:

The atmosphere at Stew Leonard's is much better because you get to eat outside in the pumpkin patch.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

FG,

Point well taken...Stew's does have better atmosphere. It was however a little nippy up there last night almost like eating al fresco. Mitchel London is really a nervous type. He was pacing and giving instructions to the staff throughout our meal.

• 2 months later...

Had breakfast at Fairway's cafe Saturday morning. It was the best Corned Beef Hash I ever tasted - even better then mine. An outstanding cafe with great juices and spectacular toast.

And downstairs - it's worth the trip for the fresh red cherry peppers alone!

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

So one could make an all-day outing there, eh? Breakfast, then a full day of shopping (with maybe a little break for lunch; how's the lunch food?), topped off by dinner. Wow, that would be great for those of us to whom it is a trek to the UWS. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Mitchell London seems to have taken the place over completely. He is there for brunch, lunch and dinner, and the food at lunch has taken a real uptick in quality. They have a $10 steak frties sandwich that is great, on a crunchy baguette. The burger is great. The baked goods are superior.

Mitchell London seems to have taken the place over completely.  He is there for brunch, lunch and dinner, and the food at lunch has taken a real uptick in quality.  They have a $10 steak frties sandwich that is great, on a crunchy baguette.  The burger is great.  The baked goods are superior.

An old friend, Mitchel London is a great and some times inspired cook.

Forget about all the other things which are excellent, just eat the pancakes. Simply one of the best things I've ever had! You wouldn't believe that such a simple item could rise to such great heights. Triple YUM.

Worth a considerable detour.

Eddie: Do they have the pancakes at Fairway and what makes them so good?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm so there, even though I have no idea what could be so good about the pancakes.

Can somebody explain it?

They are regular old-fashioned American flapjacks -- small, each just 4-5" in diameter. Many years ago Mitchel got this recipe from his mother and he certainly has made the most out of it. They have an eggy moist quality that is just terrific. I'm pretty sure the batter needs to be made a day in advance. He never shares the recipe - I've tried more than once.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing has changed (give thanks)!

Finally made it to Fairway last night, and I'm thrilled to say that nothing has changed since the last entries in this thread (all the way down to the slightly nervous stalking of the room by Mr. London). The first thing I saw when I walked in was a bottle of Cheval Blanc being opened in the kitchen, so the place has clearly found a niche with serious BYO types.

The Caesar salad is absolutely first rate, one of the best I've ever had. My strip was cooked dead-on medium rare, and the meat itself was as described by everyone else - thin, crisp char, with plenty of melting internal fat. My wife's filet suffered from typical filet problems (she won't repeat that order), but it was still an impressive hunk of meat. Roasted mushrooms were dry but flavorful, the creamed spinach much more spinach than cream (which I like), and the mashed potatoes subpar (they were sold out of the gratin). A bone-in ribeye for two was available as a special - we couldn't fit this in to the demands of our group, but I would love to try it on a future visit.

They provide basic stemware automatically now, so the tumblers are history. Service was a notch below harried and amateurish - think harried and amateurish with a bit of attitude thrown in. The crowd was decent but not outstanding for a Friday night (they filled up briefly around 7:00 pm, but there were a few tables available most of the time we were there).

A truly astonishing value - let's hope it lasts!

Edited by Robin Meredith (log)

Hey I was there last night as well. I was sitting at the very first table by the entrance. I got there around 7:15 I believe and we had to wait about 5 minutes for a table. The food was great as usual and I had what was left of my steak for lunch today. And their coquille st. jacques appetizer, which was really sea scallops with the cheese and cream from the potato gratin, was super.

• 2 months later...

Had breakfast at Fairway last Saturday and the waiter informed me they will be getting their wine and beer license "any day." This will bring an end to one of the city's greatest deals.

For $35 they served an outstanding steak dinner and you could bring your own wine (no corkage fee). I have only done this once, but I'm going to try and get there one day next week.

If anyone is interested, Fairway serves dinner until 9:30 p.m. and is closed Mondays.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

We can only hope "any day" means what it usually means in waiter-speak: "I have no idea."

Had breakfast at Fairway last Saturday and the waiter informed me they will be getting their wine and beer license "any day."  This will bring an end to one of the city's greatest deals.

For $35 they served an outstanding steak dinner and you could bring your own wine (no corkage fee). I have only done this once, but I'm going to try and get there one day next week.

If anyone is interested, Fairway serves dinner until 9:30 p.m. and is closed Mondays.

Rich: Thanks for the update, but they've been saying "any day" since early January. Since it has become a constant wine-geek party place (at least once/week), they'd be stupid to charge a significant amount for corkage if they ever get a license.

I think it's a great place and always go downstairs after dinner and, in my semi-drunken stupor, spend more money than i otherwise would have in the market.

-yb

.......always go downstairs after dinner and, in my semi-drunken stupor, spend more money than i otherwise would have in the market.

-yb

You hit the nail on the head :smile: I have bought fresh mixed juices that I never finished - prepared foods that I have not left my refrigerator.....

anil

• 2 weeks later...

Eight of us went to Fairway Friday evening for dinner and brought our own wine. Nothing was said about a liquor license, so hopefully the posts were correct and it's a long way off.

The steaks were terrific as always, but the hit of the night was the smoked salmon appetizer. It melted in your mouth and had a rich, almost buttery taste. One of the best I ever had.

Dinner for eight came to $320 before tip - this included some extra sides, four desserts and six espressos. The waitress was outstanding - we left $400 and it was still was a bargain in my mind. She even served separate wine glasses with the red and white without us asking.

As I said earlier, this is quite possibly the best dinner "deal" in NYC. Has anyone tried their softshell crabs (on Friday's menu)? My guess is they get them from Citarella (next door), since Citarella has the NYC "softshell franchise."

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

• 2 weeks later...

Fairway was reviewed in the Diners Journal section of the NY Times by Grimes. He seemed to enjoy it. Does this mean a full review will follow?

He never mentions the BYOB, which is a huge draw. If he does a full review, it will be the end the NYC's best kept secret.

Rich Schulhoff

• 3 months later...

Free BYO at Fairway is, at long last and very unfortunately, over. The license has come through, there is now a wine-and-beer list, and corkage is $10 -- still reasonable, but the end of an era. The wines on the list are priced as low as $15 for two of the Spanish selections. The one we tried tonight was drinkable, albeit served warm, in glasses they can't figure out how to keep clean, and never once poured for us -- the waiter just opened the bottle and left it on the table (service at Fairway's cafe remains just as awful as it was the day Mitchel London took the helm so many months ago; I'd have thought by now he'd have sorted it out but there hasn't been any noticeable progress at all, which at this point is a disgrace).

• 1 month later...

Yet another great dining tip from eGullet. Had my first lunch there today. I live a few blocks away and had no idea about this somewhat hidden gem until finding some threads here.

For lunch I ordered the cheeseburger with fries and coleslaw, and a chocolate gallette.

Here I'll repost my burger description from the Burger Club thread, along with additional food comments:

I had a cheeseburger (cheddar), rare, with fries for $8. A superb burger IMHOP. Good flavor to the meat, with a slight gaminess to it, almost a bit like lamb. This may not sound too appetizing to some, but to me it was. I suspect they use very high quality meat, and I wonder if it is slightly aged. The burger was a good size, maybe 1.5 inches thick and 4 inches in diameter. A light char on the surface, and cooked what I'd call closer to medium rare than the rare I requested. The bun was nothing out of the ordinary, but soft not toasted. The meat was juicy but did not as fatty as many a burger. I wonder if this is due to higher quality or leaner cuts used. I would have preferred a bit more seasoning to the meat (maybe some salt, white pepper, etc.), but I like to season my own burgers with a secret mix, so maybe I'm biased. I'd say the Fairway burger is an excellent choice for the burger "purists", those who seek high quality meat and want nothing else distracting from this. I still prefer the burger at All-State Cafe, with a bit more seasoning and fat, sweet grilled onions, and some sloppy bacon and cheddar. I guess I'm more of a trashy burger kinda guy, than a burger gourmet.

I loved the fries. The were well browned and crispier than most, with just the right amount of grease. I ate every last one.

Side of coleslaw was also excellent. Cabbage pieces were of all different sizes and shapes, not at all uniform, which gave the slaw an interesting texture. Not your textbook coleslaw, but very satisfying.

I barely had room for dessert, but couldn't resist after reading Fat Guy's description of the Chocolate Gallette (round chocolate cake with a warm molten center, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream). Yeah Baby! This was easily as good as comparable versions appearing at NYC's three and four star venues, for under $5! I suspect I will consume many more of these before the year is out.

I eyeballed the food at tables around me, and everything looked fantastic. The mediterranean salad plates, a steak sandwich, a grilled tuna steak, salad nicoise, onion soup, etc... While I only tried the burger, I'd guess that the quality of food-to-price ratio here is about the best to be found in Manhattan.

I overheard a guy next to me exclaim to his significant other "every time I see this dish it brings a big smile to my face", as he happily dug into a beautiful assortment of couscous and mediterranean grilled vegetables topped with a mound of fresh salmon. The look on his face is the best review anyone could give Mitchel London's spot at Fairway.

Edited by Felonius (log)