• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recession Alert

Since I couldn't really find the appropriate spot for this post, I thought I'd start a new thread.

I went grocery shopping earlier today at the 4th & Oregon Avenue Pathmark and found:

Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster chickens for .79/lb.!! If I had more freezer space I'd have bought more than one. In a standing refrigerated case right by the door when you walk in, as well as another similar case back in the meat department. Price on these is usually twice that and then a bit. A bargain.

Anybody else find anything worthy of crowing about lately?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks Zeffer! Looking forward to your contributions!

I forgot to add that the Produce Manager at Pathmark was kind enough to mark down 5 superripe/borderline overripe avocados to .99 for me when I asked if they had any already packaged in reduced produce. I made a huge honking bowl of guacamole that I'll be eating for several days with Tostitos scoops I bought at the BJ's a couple of weeks ago.

Can one freeze guacamole or does it just turn a foul shade of gray and get watery when it defrosts as I suspect it does? :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks Zeffer!  Looking forward to your contributions!

I forgot to add that the Produce Manager at Pathmark was kind enough to mark down 5 superripe/borderline overripe avocados to .99 for me when I asked if they had any already packaged in reduced produce.  I made a huge honking bowl of guacamole that I'll be eating for several days with Tostitos scoops I bought at the BJ's a couple of weeks ago.

Can one freeze guacamole or does it just turn a foul shade of gray and get watery when it defrosts as I suspect it does? :unsure:

For future reference, the vacuum packed guac from Trader Joe's freezes+defrosts with not much noticeable texture change, so probably if you packed it in a tupperware with plastic wrap over the top you might not get too much oxidation.

Thanks for the advice. I've actually eaten all but the last of the bowl of guacamole and it stayed reasonably fresh in the fridge with several of the pits buried in it and a layer of plastic wrap pressed onto it's surface under the lid of the container for the last several days. Not sure if I could vacuum seal it for the freezer anyway, so that worked out OK.

I defrosted and roasted that chicken last night with an herb-lemon-butter rub under the skin and a few cubed potatoes in the pan. It's delicious!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

That's really a great price for Perdue Oven Stuffers. I've seen it as low as .99 per lb out here in the burbs but not too frequently.

For anyone who lives out these parts, I bought an 8 lb pork butt at Richboro Shop and Bag for .60 per pound!! I've never ever seen these that cheap, even Sams has them for .99 on occassion.

I'm one of these folks who smokes meats all year.

Thanks Zeffer!  Looking forward to your contributions!

I forgot to add that the Produce Manager at Pathmark was kind enough to mark down 5 superripe/borderline overripe avocados to .99 for me when I asked if they had any already packaged in reduced produce.  I made a huge honking bowl of guacamole that I'll be eating for several days with Tostitos scoops I bought at the BJ's a couple of weeks ago.

For future reference, the vacuum packed guac from Trader Joe's freezes+defrosts with not much noticeable texture change, so probably if you packed it in a tupperware with plastic wrap over the top you might not get too much oxidation.

I freeze avocados a lot. I put them in plastic ziplock bags with fresh lime juice or tupperwares with juice squirted on top. The top portion does get a bit brown on top, but I just scrape it away.

• 1 month later...

Seeking a post Easter cheap leg of lamb I stumbled upon breast of veal for .99/lb. at the Oregon Avenue Shop-Rite. Legs of lamb hadn't been marked down yet and were still $3.69/lb. I bought a 4 pound veal breast, cut a pocket in it and made a matzoh and veggie stuffing. Pretty tasty and has fed me three times. Not a bad ROI...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!