• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A point of arrival

Florida Jim

This time, both Diane and I went to Sonoma for the week.

The last couple of times out I’ve been alone and there to work – I used to travel well by myself – not so much anymore. Having my sweetie along and not much to do but play made a big difference.

The weather was striking; unprecedented for January, I am told. And just as we were leaving, it started to rain – one could almost here the farmers sigh.

Among many delights, a stop at Ubuntu in Napa, the new vegetarian restaurant, was great fun. Diane is a vegetarian and I am eclectic so it was no imposition. ‘Had a bottle of the 2007 Tempier, Rosé which went quite well with the fare, sat at the bar, chatted with everyone around us and came away feeling satisfied but not in the least bit stuffed. We both really enjoyed this place.

A lunch at Don Giovani with Lou, Betty Lou, Hoke, Roxie and Bree was a chance to renew friendships and eat well. We also had a little wine, including the 2006 Tiefenbrunner, Kerner, which seems to have more flavors than most white wines, a fine old 1985 A. Conterno, Barolo (I’m sorry, I don’t recall the vineyard designation) and a bottle of the 1999 Navarro, Pinot Noir Méthode à l’Ancienne which, for me, stole the show. This wine has developed very delicate and nuanced secondary characteristics, is perfectly balanced, texturally silken and is showing at peak. ‘One of the most impressive CA pinots I’ve tasted. There were other wines on the table but I was more interested in the conversation.

We eat often at the Fig Café in Glen Ellen but this time we also had lunch at the Girl and the Fig in Sonoma – charming place, good food and a pleasant surroundings. The more time I spend on the square in Sonoma the more I want to.

We also had a chance to taste our 2008 syrah lots and the skin-fermented sauvignon that I am making and they seem to be progressing well. To my taste, much better than when I left them to come home in November.

And then there was one perfect evening up on Moon Mountain with friends, laughter, food, wine and a really stunning long-range sunset view.

Wine country is so damn beautiful.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com