• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leek Leaves

Andrew Chalk

I include more of the green part of the stalk than do most people; then I cook them a little longer (microwave) and eat them along with th rest. If one has a lot of green left over, it can be saved for the stock pot.

Ray

... can the leaves be deep fried in strips and used to top dishes?

The green part is very fibrous. It will never really get soft or pleasant enough to eat by itself, even if you braise it. I just clean up the green tops and save them for stock.

Hmmn, I'm wonder if you can make a kind of 'lotus leaf wrap' using leek leaves and steaming it? Has anyone here tried that?

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

We grow leeks -- they do well in a cool marine climate. The green part has good flavor but it's pretty tough to chew. If it's cock-a-leekie soup, the greens go into the stock but are later removed.

I suppose you could make a wrap if the leaf isn't too narrow. Corn husks are good for that kind of thing.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

You can chop them really finely and add them to meat pastes (patties, pies, Chinese dumplings, stuffings etc.).

The wrap idea would be good for using the (blanched) upper green leaves, but what about making a tasty meat paste to stuff the V-shaped lower part of the green leaf with. Steam, serve with yogurt and a spicy oil drizzle, or a loose tomato-based sauce??

The wrap idea would be good for using the (blanched) upper green leaves, but what about making a tasty meat paste to stuff the V-shaped lower part of the green leaf with. Steam, serve with yogurt and a spicy oil drizzle, or a loose tomato-based sauce??

Great idea! I already have some leek leaves and was planning to place a few side by side on a bamboo (sushi) roller, stuff them with a nice Chinese style pork/rice filling, then roll, tie, and steam. This might be a good way to riff on Lo mai gai. I'm going to try it, and if the leek flavor comes through, I will be back here to gloat. :)

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson