• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for work in Italy

shahed

Hello people,

let me begin by congratulating you on this brilliant forum, i really couldnt beleive my eyes when i ran into this one!

Ok heres my issue:

I have recently done a 1yr cookery course followed by 6months work in a professional kitchen. Im now looking to get myself over to italy to get to the root of the cuisine i most enjoy. However after countless hours searching on the net i have managed to come with a whoppin zero leads.

Ayhows my question to you all is this:-

What is the best way of getting work over in italy? becuase as it stands im just packing my bags and hoping for the best. which really isnt a great plan, but hey at least its a plan lol

any ideas would be much appreciated

Edited by shahed (log)

Hello people,

let me begin by congratulating you on this brilliant forum, i really couldnt beleive my eyes when i ran into this one!

Ok heres my issue:

I have recently done a 1yr cookery course followed by 6months work in a professional kitchen. Im now looking to get myself over to italy to get to the root of the cuisine i most enjoy. However after countless hours searching on the net i have managed to come with a whoppin zero leads.

Ayhows my question to you all is this:-

What is the best way of getting work over in italy? becuase as it stands im just packing my bags and hoping for the best. which really isnt a great plan, but hey at least its a plan lol

any ideas would be much appreciated

I just got back from working 6 months in Italy and let me tell you, it was amazing!! The culture is very laid back and if you have a decent understanding of the language it should be no problem just going to restaurants and asking to work. Also if you have the money look into the italian culinary institute for foreigners (ICIF) it is a wonderful school and they place you in a restaurant suited for your ability ( I was placed in an excellent one star michelin), so I suggest looking into that or just going in and asking for a job.

The ICIF looks a great place but unfortunatly i cant afford it. My Italian is also very limitied infact you might aswell call me Tarzan lol. I was thinkin of hittin milan or something cos i may be able to get work in hotels as im sure they have english speakin staff in big hotels and touristy destinations.

anyhows thaks for your reply some great information there.

Edited by shahed (log)

It's not so easy to just go to Italy and work...but some people make it happen anyway.

try this website for info on what it's like to look for work and live in Italy. It's not a food website, but information for expats....

Expatsinitaly.com

thanks again some gd info there too but from what i gather im just gonna have to go and have a crack at it. I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

Yes go have fun, learn, work hard, party harder. It's a great experience over there, I have been home for 2 weeks and already longing to go back.

yes oldskool i here u completly. Also an italian freind of mine says he can get me work in rome, goin to go and speak to him face to face 2night!!! fingeres crossed ill get in the bag.

-I start a 3 month job in Firenze in about 2.5 weeks.

-I'd start by asking each and every chef you know(especially instructors) if they have a contact there. That's what I did, and I'll be working for a friend of a friend of a friend.

-The usuall gig (my understanding at least) is no pay w/ room and board, so be ready to have some money saved.

-Check with the American Culinary Federation to see if they can help. You'll need to pay for a membership, but if it gets you the job you're looking for, great. I used my membership to secure a work visa.

-There is an Italy forum here, try that too.

Good Luck!

Ciao,

Paul

Edited by pfunk_49 (log)