• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

champagne custard

lilthorner

I want to make a champagne cake reminiscent of a bakery that used to be in my area (and still served by some bakers that are still open). the cake is vanilla chiffon, the filling is like 2/3 custard folded into 1/3 whipped cream with sherry added (this info is from and OLD newspaper article from the bakery that is now closed.

my first attempt is using this pastry cream recipe:

24oz milk

8 oz sugar

--scalded together (with a vanilla bean)

2.5oz cornstarch

8oz milk

3 eggs

--combined

cooked the normal pc way LOL then stir in 4 oz butter

this is the recipe my chef gave me in school (well 1/2x the recipe)

when I make it and cool the pastry cream it is nice and creamy (kinda thick though but tasty) so when I whip the cream 1 times it was rather lumpy and the next time I warmed the pastry cream a bit and then the whipped cream made it look curdled. once I put it in the cake and served it, it was ok, but I would prefer the creamy texture that I can get at the bakery (which is prolly pc in a sleeve with whipped cream folded into it)

so should I cut the cornstarch to make the cream thinner, make a bavarian with anglaise and gelatin, use cream instead of milk for the pastry cream (would that make it thicker or thinner?)

HELP!

I want to make a champagne cake reminiscent of a bakery that used to be in my area (and still served by some bakers that are still open). the cake is vanilla chiffon, the filling is like 2/3 custard folded into 1/3 whipped cream with sherry added (this info is from and OLD newspaper article from the bakery that is now closed.

my first attempt is using this pastry cream recipe:

24oz milk

8 oz sugar

--scalded together (with a vanilla bean)

2.5oz cornstarch

8oz milk

3 eggs

--combined

cooked the normal pc way LOL then stir in 4 oz butter

this is the recipe my chef gave me in school (well 1/2x the recipe)

when I make it and cool the pastry cream  it is nice and creamy (kinda thick though but tasty) so when I whip the cream 1 times it was rather lumpy and the next time I warmed the pastry cream a bit and then the whipped cream made it look curdled. once I put it in the cake and served it, it was ok, but I would prefer the creamy texture that I can get at the bakery (which is prolly pc in a sleeve with whipped cream folded into it)

so should I cut the cornstarch to make the cream thinner, make a bavarian with anglaise and gelatin, use cream instead of milk for the pastry cream (would that make it thicker or thinner?)

HELP!

I know the look that you are talking about. We had a receipe that used clear gel as a thickening agent, that had to be whipped with some Grand Marnier, after it had cooled. That made it nice and smooth.

Roland Mesnier has a recipe for a Champagne Creme Brulee in Dessert University that uses the stovetop method for pastry cream - you stir in the butter at the end, then after that is incorporated, you use a mixer til it is room temp and add some champagne (then chill and brulee to order) stirring very gently. This will thicken up nicely and doesn't need whipped cream to lighten but if you were to add it, it would make it a little more ethereal and a nice cake filling too.

There was a thread about this recipe a long, long time ago.