• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coyopa Rum

mickblueeyes

We recently received this rum in our shop. At first glance, the bottle was enticing--dark, rich rum with glints of amber shining through. Marked on the shelf at 50 bucks. I thought, this rum might just be worth 50 bucks. Then I picked up the bottle, which began playing music and had lights going off in the label. I then thought, hmmm. . . this might be worth 19.95.

Though I missed the shop tasting for it, I was told it is a very dry style similar to and made by R.L. Seales.

First, does anyone else think they could have spent less on the bottle and made the rum cheaper? I get a little offended at cheap gimmickry, but that may be just me.

Second, has anyone tasted this rum? Is is truly in the same league as Zaya, Pyrat XO and other rums well worth their shelf price?

TIA

I've only seen this rum from across a room and didn't bother to get any closer. Does the label say what country the rum is from or anything about the importer, where it was distilled or who bottled it?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

We also got the rum in our store. It is made by RL Seales and it is a 10 year old. Our store tasting is Saturday. I actually think it should be pretty good. It is imported by Sidney Frank,( they also do Grey goose and a few other items) He sell good products but he is not afraid to charge alot of money for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I bought a bottle today just because it was the first bottle of decent "looking" rum in the local store in about 6 months. Unfortunately there is not hardly any demand for good rums in Alaska and it reflects in what the stores carry here. Another problem for AK is we have the HIGHEST alcohol tax in the U.S.

The bottle vaugely says it is made in Barbados.

Unopened yet.....

Price paid....sigh....63.99 :shock:

Kristian that is (63.99) US dollars.

I just looked again and the bottle says "Product of Barbados" instead of "made" in.....

Kristian you are entirely correct. I have personally found only 2 bottles of good rum in the state over the last 6 years. One of them was Pampero Anniversario and I can not remember the other one. I usually just bring a bottle or 3 back when visiting realtives.

Uh, sorry, I must have been 'out there' when I read your earlier post... Of course it was in U.S. dollars... :wacko:

Pretty steep, I'd say!

Our decent selection includes Matusalem Gran Reserva, HC7 and Kaniche Guadeloupe and only the last of them is in regular selection - the others you have to special order...

In addition to these, the shelves usually carry about 10-15 lousy brands (coloured stuff) and I can never figure out why they are there at all...

• 1 month later...

I got a bottle of Coyopa for Christmas this year and found it quite enjoyable neat. I think it was about $43 US.

Please understand my rum tasting is limited to about 25 different rums.

The best being;

Barbancourt Estate Reserve

Coyopa

Barrilito 3 estrellas

Salud,

Patrick :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I got a bottle of Coyopa for Christmas this year and found it quite enjoyable neat.  I think it was about $43 US.

Actually, I asked my father and he said he paid $36 for the bottle of Coyopa. Which I have since relieved of its contents...

Salud,

Patrick