• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cadbury Flake...

merlicky

The story behind it is that a worker started scraping the spills from the bars and that made Flake. So think of it as a ribbon garnish. Temper your favorite chocolate. As it starts to cool (but before it becomes too hard), take a paint scraper and scrape the chocolate off of a marble slab (or other smooth surface). I think that would make you your Flake.

Actually, I just got a marble slab and that is part of the reason I am curious about the flake.

I’ve read the story about the cooling chocolate drizzling from the molds and creating the waviness of the flakes etc, but I guess I’m not sure about the technique to get them into bar form. If I start scraping the chocolate from the marble wouldn’t I end up with a bunch of smaller flakes, and not the thin flakey bar? Perhaps I just need to stop asking questions and just go try it.

The trick is to keep testing the cooling chocolate on the marble. Using a nice big paint scraper, push away from yourself, holding the scraper at about 30 degrees. If the temperature is just right, the chocolate will wrinkle like cloth - and there you go.