• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tangra Masala

LaNiña

Take the R or V train to Grand Ave/Newtown. If you are on the express trains (E or F), switch to a local train at Roosevelt. Grand Ave is two more stops. Ride toward the front of the train, and take the exit at the very front of the station. Out of the turnstiles, take a left towards Queens Blvd South side. Take the stairs on your right. Continue on Queens Blvd in the direction out of the exit stairs, past the furniture store. Grand Ave is at the end of the block. You should see the awning for Tangra Masala across the street.

I'm battling a cold, so count me out of this one.

Fortunately (for me), it's in the "stuffy nose" stage, meaning the sore throat and aches are gone for the most part. I took off work today with a headache this am, which is mostly gone. Slept all day...

Anyway, I expect a full report. :wink:

SA

Okay folks, bklyneats can't come.  So I suggest we bail on this particular one, and revive it when more people who are interested are available...

Aw, and i was looking forward to it. Ok, hopefully there will be more interest next time.

-Jason

• 3 months later...

Went to Tangra Masala this evening - mixed eG and CH crowd! Food was quite good, as usual. Toby asked about the word "Tangra," and turns out she was absolutely right. It is in fact a neighborhood in Calcutta, where the ethnic Chinese whose cuisine this is, settled.

It's really worth the trek out there - actually it's only a couple of blocks from the Grand Ave. stop on the V and the R.

Edited by La Niña (log)

Tangra is indeed an area in Calcutta ( if my memory serves me well, it is new the Kalighat Temple )

I was with the asst CH's and EG's last night. It was an enjoyable evening, despite being forced by EG'er JOY ( I can only believe that she chose this name with a delicious sense of irony) to head out there using public transport. The shame

The food itself was a mixed bag. Starters were very good. Excellent frying ( although in corn oil which I have rarely seen in Calcutta ) greasless and crisp. Very good pakora.

The mains were hit and miss. A very good chilli eggplant, a less than wonderful goat and a slightly nasty cauliflower.

The bill however showed why NY beats London hands down at this sort of level. $20 per head. Bugger all, for not bad food

The company was lovely as ever and I sat far enough away from Nina that I could hear the things that one or two other people had to say

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

Pre-Tangra, Simon was properly welcomed to Elmhurst by "Patrick" at the Grand Stand Pub. We were serenaded and treated to a round.

The ordering was not handled by me and unfortunately being the 2 beer queer that I am, I was not as observant as I might've been. Did we have the "Ginger Chicken," anything with the Manhchurian sauce. If not, :sad: we missed out on two dishes that I usually enjoy there.