• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Cue Alert: Phoebes in Manyunk

marinade

• 2 weeks later...

Tried Phoebe's last night. Had a half rack of pork ribs and chicken wings. Completely ordinary is the most glowing critique I can give. They've been open for maybe two weeks, and my brother won't stop talking about how good everything was when he went so there's much to hope for, but they didn't have it last night.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I've never really liked Phoebe's much. Ordinary and really fatty is how I'd describe the ribs. Ron's Ribs down the street from their South Street location was always better. I never understood how they stayed in business, unless it was all catering. They stole their ideas from a former employer (Miss Amelia's BBQ) that does it much better and more successfully.

There's little barbeque in this town. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. gallery_7409_6069_220.jpg

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've always liked Phoebe's sides, especially the greens. I've had the ribs a few times, and they were pretty tasty, if not my favorite style overall. I feel like they must be a result of that boiled/grilled process.

So, yeah, not the greatest barbecue ever, but it can be satisfying food if you know what you're in for...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

we tried phoebe's a day or two after they opened the manayunk location. as far as bbq goes, it was passable. the meat was a little tough on some parts of the ribs, but i liked the sauce they came in: just the right amount of spice-vinegar ratio. the pulled pork sandwich was also ok.

the cornbread had potential, but ultimately ended up tasting like cardboard. i won't get this again.

the greens? meh. underseasoned, thus bland.

we'll probably go back if we need a bbq fix, just cause it's super close to our house, plus, i talked to the owner (i think) and he seemed very genuine to try to get his business up and running, since they were already delayed in opening.

oh, and while this was a few weeks ago, at the time i went, they were not ready to accept credit cards. that might have changed since then.

There's little barbeque in this town.  In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.  gallery_7409_6069_220.jpg

What she said.

Haven't found anything better than Sweet Lucy's yet myself.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Seems like it's hard to find anything better than I can make in my backyard in my Cookshack smoker. Bought a 5lb. 1st cut brisket from Wegman's, put a rub on it, poured some water mixed with lemon juice over it and refrigerated overnight. Smoked it for 5 hours, poured the water/lemon juice over it, wrapped it in foil, and smoked for 2 more hours. Came out better than anything I have had locally, even Sweet Lucy's, which I find the best alternative.

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.

Seems like it's hard to find anything better than I can make in my backyard in my Cookshack smoker. Bought a 5lb. 1st cut brisket from Wegman's, put a rub on it, poured some water mixed with lemon juice over it and refrigerated overnight. Smoked it for 5 hours, poured the water/lemon juice over it, wrapped it in foil, and smoked for 2 more hours. Came out better than anything I have had locally, even Sweet Lucy's, which I find the best alternative.

well...duh....giant shocker your own rubbed/smoked meats are better...gotta try the lemon juice/water thing...