• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

House of Kebabs in Newton

SaxChik

I was up in Sussex County visiting my sister last weekend for Crawfish Fest in Augusta. After eating Cajun all day, we needed something different for dinner. We decided to check out the House of Kebabs in Newton (be warned, the website has music).

At first glance, it looked to be only take-out with a small market, but upon further investigation, there was a nice little dining area (3 2-tops and 3 4-tops). They put out warm pita with what we think was tahini. We also ordered some plain hummus. Quite nice, very creamy.

For dinner, I had the straight up lamb shish kebab, my hub and another diner had the lamb adana kebab (ground, seasoned lamb) and my sister had the falafel. The meal started with a big salad they call a shepherd's salad. it was diced cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and onion dressed in a vinegar dressing. Each dish was served with bulgar rice, carrots, red cabbage and onions. The plating was very pretty (mold of rice, big scoops of carrots, onions and cabbage), then the meat, all around the rice.

The food was wonderful. The meat was nicely seasoned and moist. I really enjoyed the rice. We finished the meal sharing baklava, which was served in 4 little pieces with whipped cream.

If you're ever in Newton and hankering for Middle Eastern cuisine, go check em out!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce