• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best downtown steakhouses

LPShanet

Going to do a downtown steakhouse outing this weekend, and wanted to hear if anyone had any recent experiences or recommendations. My usual go-to downtown is Strip House (bone in rib chop in particular), but would also consider Craftsteak, Mark Joseph and other recommendations.

I had heard that Craftsteak had come a LONG way from the bad reviews after opening, and wondered if anyone could confirm this.

(Please don't bother with midtown or outer borough ideas...I'm well aware of those and will also not be making the trip out to Luger's, etc. Below 23rd street only, please.)

It's almost as if Steve Cuozzo read your post and then composed today's column in the Post. However, he limits himself to Financial District steakhouses, and his main complaint is that there are too many of them, in relation to other kinds of eating down there.

Anyhow, I think Craftsteak would be worth your while.

Thanks for all the input. Does anyone have any thoughts on the steak comparison between Craftsteak, Strip House and Wolfgang's. Also, how does the downtown Wolfgang's compare to the first outpost in quality?

Thanks for all the input.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the steak comparison between Craftsteak, Strip House and Wolfgang's.  Also, how does the downtown Wolfgang's compare to the first outpost in quality?

At Strip House, the ribeye excels; at Wolfgang's it's the porterhouse or even (if you're dining alone) the NY Strip, which they call "Steak for One" in the Luger style.

I agree that the midtown and downtown versions of Wolfgang's are indistinguishable as far as the food is concerned, but the downtown Wolfgang's isn't as loud.

Craftsteak is in my regular steakhouse rotation for the excellence of the non-steak items, but since the opening the steak has greatly improved too.

Edited by oakapple (log)