• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Cinq in the George Cinq

Gavin Convery

I think we're talking days if the news if confirmed. But in my experience, last chance dinner are already too late.

So, that raises another question: who is gonna take over Les Elysées' kitchen?

After tons of research for what would provide us with the best meal for the best value we made reservations for lunch at Les Eleysees during our ten days in Paris in May. How disappointing if the chef leaves! It seems it would then be prudent to change our plans. any thoughts? Suggestions for a comparable quality/value lunch?

Is it official yet? What news do you have the rest of us don't?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

It's not -- in fact I am writing from there and nothing is certain yet. What I can tell you is that Chef Briffard is not less involved in his kitchen than he usually is. His seabass dish was a slight miss and he was really upset, came at the end of the meal saying "I ruined it, I need to start it from scratch again". And I'm sure he will. Rest of the meal was as amazing as ever -- I will report and post pictures later, when I'm sober.

Anyway, there are talks, it looks probable, but nothing is certain yet.

Julot, congratulations. And as we say in French, "respect". With all the hastily spread false rumors usually blossoming around in Foodieland (and renowned journalists are not immune), it is nice to see someone who has good intuitions and enough thinking to back them.

Briffard will leave les Elysées April 30th -- let those who can, hurry. The restaurant will close for an unknown period of time. Resquiescat in Pacem.

A shame, at least two meals I've had there would qualify for the "memorable" topic.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Briffard will leave les Elysées April 30th -- let those who can, hurry. The restaurant will close for an unknown period of time. Resquiescat in Pacem.

Argh! We'll miss out as our reservation was for May 9! The good news is that I was able to secure a reservation for Spring when I called today. A very different experience, I'm sure, but I'm expecting a special treat.

• 1 month later...

He won't start before mid-July.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 2 weeks later...

He's been in the kitchen for the last couple weeks. The menu comes out beginning to mid July with NONE of the former dishes. There are NO "George V" dishes, these all being Legendre's creations..

blog

• 2 weeks later...

True, the full new menu in Autumn.

blog

New Summer Menu out today, 135 E without drinks

Spider crab with marinated cepe mushrooms

Rouget Barbet with fennel fleurs de courgettes au curry

Pidgeon

Milk fed veal or Goat cheese roll

Crispy delight with red fruit

blog

Those guys are good. Their Passard story in that issue is really good looking and moving. I hate to say it, but they're good.

Julot,

Do you mind sharing the Passard's story to non-French speaking members :biggrin: ? If not mistaken, you went to US ... did you go to per se, Manresa etc ? Did you write the report somewhere? Somehow, it's not in your blogs. Thanks

Hi BPS. The Passard story is the one in the Michelin magazine, Etoiles. It mostly has very good pics. I went to the US but only on the East Coast -- you can find pics on my gallery picasaweb.google.fr/jultort/ (I haven't had time to report in detail on recent meals but I will, meanwhile you'll have to wait with the comments on the pics). Ubuntu was wonderful, so was JRNY, and Blue Hill at Stone Barns was really excellent.

Just the lunch menu, I think. People seem to be pleased however the dishes are presented much more elaborately than with Legendre, so it's causing a little stress with placing the dishes on the table......(ie very long and thin dishes for the ventriche de thon and frog's legs..).

blog

• 5 weeks later...

I dropped by yesterday (while I was waiting to watch Kung Fu Panda!!) -- the place of course is as georgeous as ever. Menus are 135 and 210 (tasting), in the evening. Most of the dishes are classic Briffard, directly from les Elysées, some taking advantage of the world-class ingredients he now has access to -- e.g. langoustines, cochon des aldudes, or the seabass dish with wasabi and green apple has been replaced by turbot. This sounds thoroughly exciting, but alas, if the chef enjoys better means, customers have to have a larger pocket as well, as for this exciting sole meunière for two at 230eur. Anyway, I'm sure there is some three star potential here and I hope I can mug some old lady soon and go check by myself.

• 3 weeks later...
New Summer Menu out today, 135 E without drinks

Spider crab with marinated cepe mushrooms

Rouget Barbet with fennel fleurs de courgettes au curry

Pidgeon

Milk fed veal or Goat cheese roll

Crispy delight with red fruit

Is that last savory course a choice between milk-fed veal *OR* goat cheese roll?

How long has Briffard been at Le Cinq now? My dinner here under Legendre was really simply boring. I'm hoping Briffard gives me a compelling reason to return.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

I'm just back from that. I'm speechless (sort of). It was extraordinary and it is clear from talking with Briffard that it will only get better as he gets cooks and suppliers to work even more the way he wants them to. Staff seems happy and proud of what's going on. Of course the room is as gergeous as ever and Beaumard is still running the show in there, not to mention the spatial wine list. Pithiviers de grouse et canard col vert was on the (lunch!) menu for the second day. I used to think that Briffard was best value in town. Now I think he's best in town. Wow.

I will post edited pictures tomorrow -- still need to process them.

Practical information: most items are still classic Briffard from les Elysées. New fall menu is expected on October 6. Lunch menu changes every week. In order to guarantee always the best, the menu will be reprinted everyday depending on supply. I'm not sure what other restaurants will do, or why they're here, really.

Edited by julot-les-pinceaux (log)