• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

54 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have to admit that I am still using cups and tablespoons. I have a darn good kitchen scale and I use it all the time but just not for baking. I'd like to say it's because I'm too old to learn but the truth is I'm just too lazy to learn. It's easier to use the method that I have used all my life. Most of my baking isn't precise enough that it makes much of a difference.

As for the weight of flour and what constitutes a cup, I have periodically weighed out the flour that I can get here and it weighs differently from bag to bag and also has quite a difference from the rainy season to the dry season. So trying to convert recipes from metric to cups just never works unless I weigh the flour each time before I start and then I might as well use a scale for the whole recipe.

I understand the science. As a young teen I took on the task of converting our pastry recipes from metric weights  to cups and spoons. People would ask for mom's recipes and think she was being not nice with just metric. Going forward I started to use the C & T measures. Back then we did not know the different flours etc. Nothing elaborate but classic cakes and semi puff oastry items and pretty delicious stuff. Maybe the ladies and their "apprentices" like me just got a feel for how things should be. I do wish I could find my old scale though. It was a thing of beauty with the sliding weights. 

heidih

heidih

45 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have to admit that I am still using cups and tablespoons. I have a darn good kitchen scale and I use it all the time but just not for baking. I'd like to say it's because I'm too old to learn but the truth is I'm just too lazy to learn. It's easier to use the method that I have used all my life. Most of my baking isn't precise enough that it makes much of a difference.

As for the weight of flour and what constitutes a cup, I have periodically weighed out the flour that I can get here and it weighs differently from bag to bag and also has quite a difference from the rainy season to the dry season. So trying to convert recipes from metric to cups just never works unless I weigh the flour each time before I start and then I might as well use a scale for the whole recipe.

I understand the science. As a young teen I took on the task of converting our pastry recipes from metric weights  to cups and spoons. People would ask for mom's recipes and think she was being not nice with just metric. Going forward I started to use the C & T measures. Back then we did not know the different fkours etc. Nothing elaborate but classic cakes and semi puff oastry items and pretty delicious stuff. Maybe the ladies and their "apprentices" like me just got a feel for how things should be. I do wish I could find my old scale though. It was a thng of beauty with the sliding weights.