• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Tenderloins

sarashrugs

Anyone have any simple preparation suggestions? I'm thinking of pan seared medallions.

The tenderloins I've had were much too narrow to do as medallions, but my usual method is to marinate them with a little salt, pepper, rosemary and olive oil, then toss in a very hot preheated pan and give them a quick sear. They cook in around a minute, I think. Deglaze the pan with a little red wine, mount with butter, and voila! dinner is served.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Anyone have any simple preparation suggestions? I'm thinking of pan seared medallions.

Medallions are a good idea. (Paillard)

Alternatively, why not sear the entire loin (seasoned) in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet and transfer to the oven to finish?

Then make a simple pan sauce to while the loin rests.

Edited by Motochef (log)

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

Medallions are a good idea. (Paillard)

Alternatively, why not sear the entire loin (seasoned) in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet and transfer to the oven to finish?

Then make a simple pan sauce to while the loin rests.

This is precisely what I am planning to do, although I doubt they will need much if any time in the oven. My tenderloins are currently marinating in mint, sage, thyme, peppercorn, garlic, cumin, porcini, salt and yogurt. I'll serve them with sauteed spinach and cumin-dusted roasted fingerling potatoes.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The tenderloins I've had were much too narrow to do as medallions, but my usual method is to marinate them with a little salt, pepper, rosemary and olive oil, then toss in a very hot preheated pan and give them a quick sear. They cook in around a minute, I think. Deglaze the pan with a little red wine, mount with butter, and voila! dinner is served.

Thanks I did what you said and they turned out perfect.

The better the lamb, the less it needs.

When I get a loin from a grass-fed organic lamb at the Union Square Greenmarket, I do almost nothing to it. I sprinkle it with a teaspoon of salt (no more), put it in a plastic bag in the fridge overnight, rub it with freshly ground black pepper, sear it all over and roast it on a rack at 350 until the center is at 135 (increasing to 140 as it rests outside the oven). Amazing. Even garlic or thyme would interfere with the flavor, and it needs little or no extra salt.