• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Recent wines

Florida Jim

2000 Château La Louvière, Pessac-Léognan:

After a while open, this has the poop, leather, tobacco, mineral notes that are indicative of its origins but it is also rich, velvety textured and dense without being weighty, fruit driven and supple with a medium length but fairly full finish. A very nice bottle right now after it gets a little air. 13.5% alcohol, importer unknown and about $37; I’ll buy it again.

2005 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:

With tuna tartare on endive; lyrical wine – fresh, clean, crisp, scented and long. As they do most every year, this house has made one of the best Muscadet of the vintage. Superb with the dish. 12% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $13; I bought a lot.

2005 Orin Swift, The Prisoner:

Jammy, alcoholic, raisined and diffuse by itself, this became spicy and filled with berries when served with a spaghetti squash casserole that included porcini, gruyere and a tomato reduction sauce. Not a wine I’d buy but I enjoyed it with the dish. 15.2% alcohol, price about $40; I’d not buy it.

2004 Saintsbury, Pinot Noir Brown Ranch – Carolina Cuvée:

Smells of chocolate and black fruit; rich in the mouth with flavors that follow the nose, smooth texture, hidden structure and some heat; medium length finish. Not typical of the variety and a touch too hot but very good with food and better than I would ever have expected. 14.5% alcohol and price unknown: thanks Allan.

2005 Luneau-Papiun, Muscadet Dom. Pierre de La Grange VV:

Aromas of lemons, white fruit, steel and flowers; crisp and juicy in the mouth with good depth and intensity, perfect balance and excellent complexity; very long. Another resounding success from this producer and it certainly has a shelf life. 12% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $8 by the case; one of the best QPR wines I know of.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com