• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Skate in the Fridge!

FoodMuse

Local fish guy says this was looking really good today, so I bought it. I've never cooked it before. Google turned up some good recipes, but thought I'd check in here. Any tips?

Do they have many bones?

Can I just pan fry in some great butter. I have both flour and cornstarch- Which should I dredge with?

In the house I have :

capers, lemon, onion(no shallot sadly), some leftover roasted garlic.

1box frozen spinach

Thanks!

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

No need to dust it.

Fry gently in butter on both sides

take out of the pan, and wipe out the pan

Melt fresh butter and heat until it begins to brown (beurre noisette)

Add vinegar and capers

Pour over the skate

Serve, with potatoe and a green salad.

Hi Jackal10,

Fry gently? Thanks for that comment; I thought I should get the pan screaming hot with olive oil and cook it fast.

Beurre noisette. Yes, I have Lurpak butter.

Yum.

-Grace

www.fearlesscooking.tv

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Skate wing? it has a big piece of cartilage, rather than bones. It's not difficult to fillet the flesh off the cartilage before you cook it.

What Jackal10 said, although I'd use the juice from your lemon instead of his vinegar. I like to toss a few croutons in the lemony butter, and have been known to finely dice some green chili pepper to add to or replace the capers. That said, you have the capers and didn't mention a chili :smile:

Eat it soon. If you smell ammonia you can soak in milk for 15 minutes.. If you are eating it and you get that amonia flavor don't worry. If it's really fresh it should not have the ammonia scent....but it's common and in some countries they like it very very ripe. Not me.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

I would flour it and then sautee it in the butter to a nice crispy golden, and then do exactly what Jackal says.

This isn't one I cooked, but it's how I like it to look:

gallery_11181_4845_1431.jpg

It doesn't have any bones - rather, the piece of meat that you see lies atop a piece of cartilage, and theres another piece of meat (fillet, for lack of a better word) on the underside of the cartilage. But I don't find it that easy to do myself- I've mutilated quite a few trying. But you can always cook them on the bone. You just won't be able to crisp both sides of each "fillet", just the two outside faces.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Wonderful dinner! I lightly dusted with flour panfried with lots of butter. Delicious. Threw some capers and lemon juice to deglaze pan. Yum. I think using a great butter was key.

What a flavorful fish; lots of bones, though.

You were all a great help. Thnx again.

Grace

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My dear wife one time bought the wings thinking that was the edible part of the fish entirely. We tried, but in the end called out for food. (Her maiden name is Skates so we found it funny).

About a week later we saw skate for sale at the same fish market in its real form. It sure looked much more edible and filling than that marine bat wing we tried to cook. :hmmm:

I'll add that skate is very nice off the gas grill. I love the darkened crunch on the exterior and the moist and mild shark-like texture on the inside.

This discussion has got me wondering about varieties of skates, small versus big (and they can get very big), warm water versus cold water, etc. I'll have to grill my fishmonger next time we meet, so to speak.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 1 month later...

Skate is good. I do a saute with a parmesan panko crust. If you can get it dressed then it is worth the money. The last time I picked some up at a lcoal fishmonger it was not. While not difficult to dress you lose about half the weight was waste.

My fish market had some beautiful skate (dressed, i.e. off the bone)

gallery_11181_5870_106699.jpg

Which I dusted with Wondra flour and sauteed in olive oil with a little buter

gallery_11181_5870_14535.jpg

When both sides were crisped, I removed it to a hot plate, and deglazed the pan with white wine, and added organic lemon, and capers, let it bubble for a moment, and then plated it with the sauce over it. The sides were roasted cauliflower and roasted cremini mushrooms, and though I could kill the person who plated the sides for me, I'll post the photos anyway

gallery_11181_5870_146782.jpg

gallery_11181_5870_52627.jpg

It was delicious, though I can only show the ones that didn't break apart when I turned them.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's