• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

Dinner with friends:

Crackers and robiola cheese:

2005 Sumarroca, Cava Brut:

Lovely wine with just enough flavor to have a personality but not so much as to diminish the cleansing effect of the bubbles. 11.5% alcohol, imported by Frontier Wines and about $12; I’ll buy it again.

Salad of roasted beets, arugula, ricotta salada and walnuts:

More of the Cava

Pasta with a purée of almonds and fresh tomatoes:

2005 Tete, Juliénas:

Decanted two hours; open and generous with berries and mineral scents; good depth, flavors that echo the nose and a beautiful, supple texture; excellent length. A very fine wine with years ahead of it. 13% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $18 on release; stealing at the price.

Broiled swordfish with roasted fennel, onions, olives and red peppers:

2004 Tissot, Chardonnay:

Decanted two hours; needed the air to open up and show perfect chardonnay scents and flavors with a mineral edge and enough cut to etch its flavors against the richness of the fish. A world record pairing. 13% alcohol, imported by Potomac Imports and about $23; very, very worth it.

After dinner with more crackers and cheese:

2001 Palazzola, Rubino:

70% cabernet sauvignon, 30% merlot; restrained but penetrating aromas of berries, cassis and spice; elegant in the mouth but with powerful flavors that follow the nose, seamless and integrated but with good acidity and a long finish. The best thing about this wine was what was absent; little oak, no candied flavors, no over-extraction; it tasted like real wine. I remember Rubinos from the mid-90’s being far more over the top than this . . . and a lot more expensive. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Locascio and about $17; I’ll buy more (and I never thought I’d say that).

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com