• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caffe Notte - UES Wine & Coffee Bar

Megan Blocker

Last August (if memory serves), my beloved (read: totally decent and right by my apartment) DTUT closed down after their lease was hiked up too far. DTUT was hardly a gourmet destination, but they served good coffee at reasonable prices (cheaper and better than Starbucks, for sure), offered free wifi, and had plenty of sagging couches and scuffed coffee tables on which to lounge, sip, and work. They got me out of the house many a weekend when I had too much work to do to actually venture beyond a two-block radius, and for that I am grateful.

Therefore, I was really excited when, in December, I started to see signs of life in the DTUT space. Up went the construction permits, and soon neighborhood telephone poles were sporting notice of a public hearing for a liquor license. The new spot would be called Caffe Notte, and would serve coffee, antipasti and wine. They would have wifi, just like DTUT.

They finally opened their doors last week, and just yesterday my friend Val and I went in to check things out. I was thoroughly disappointed. The space is nice, a sleeker, more modern version of the DTUT concept, with banquettes replacing couches. My cappuccino was totally fine, but also totally overpriced ($4.00).

Val ordered the "Tuscan white bean and artichoke spread", which actually turned out to be a salad with white beans and nary an artichoke in sight. I was craving chocolate and ordered the truffle cake; it was like a too-sweet, undercooked brownie, and it was drowned in whipped cream from a can. Inexcusable for a dessert priced at $7.95, in my opinion.

I'm normally not so focused on price, but this was a case where the price point just seemed so off-base to me. I was really taken aback by the discrepancy between the prices and the quality of the offerings.

I'm so sad...I was really excited to have another coffee place to spend time in. Looks like I'll be grinding and brewing my own for the foreseeable future...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I'm so sad...I was really excited to have another coffee place to spend time in.  Looks like I'll be grinding and brewing my own for the foreseeable future...

I also live a couple of blocks away and was sad too see DTUT go. Other than the mommy-and-me brigades that would often commandeer the back room, forcing my unwilling retreat, DTUT was a great place to hang. I have a lot of weekdays off and DTUT was definitely my go-to place, especially on cold, dark, blustery winter days.

I've yet to find a suitable alternative in the 'hood, so I'm disappointed to read your negative review of DTUT's replacement. Since MRohr's has relocated to within 100 yards of my apartment, I thought they'd make a good surrogate but I'm just not down with that place. For one thing, I like my coffee hot. Most of the coffee from their array of Thermos' is lukewarm. Ordering a Latte or the like is usually an exercise in extreme patience, as they always seem to be understaffed.

And don't get me started on the rules! It's completely contrary to their supposed "come in and stay a while" atmosphere, which is obviously not sincere. Everywhere you look, there is a sign dictating what you can and can't do. Have you ever been there when the owner is working? You can't miss the guy...he seems frenetic and is normally barking orders at the help and the customers. And finally, the Wifi is not free.

I think there is enough demand in this neighborhood for a laid back, Starbucks replacement with free Wifi and comfortable seating. Unfortunately, I think the rising rents have precluded these from being viable businesses in this part of town.

By the way, it's definitely not a place to sit and stay but don't miss the Brooklyn Blackout cupcake at Two Little Red Hens Bakery. They serve coffee and have a couple of small tables, so you can hangout for a little while as you enjoy one of the best cupcakes in NYC.

And Choux Factory on 87th and 1st...the place with those amazing Japanese cream puffs has good coffee and free Wifi, but their seating is not conducive to a long stay.

Tipsy

Edited by TipsyMcStagger (log)

There's a real dearth of places to go for great coffee in this town. There's really no demand, as I see it. Most people out there are perfectly content with mediocre to bad coffee. They drink the charred oily 'bucks every day and have no idea how good coffee can actually be.

There's a real dearth of places to go for great coffee in this town. There's really no demand, as I see it. Most people out there are perfectly content with mediocre to bad coffee. They drink the charred oily 'bucks every day and have no idea how good coffee can actually be.

I couldn't agree more, it's so frustrating. As a coffee lover, I prefer grinding/brewing my own at home (Porto Rico is my source for beans). But, I work from my laptop, so going someplace other than my couch or desk would be nice. I'd love a place to hang out, order decent coffee, and do my work.

And it's not just the UES, it's the entire city. Sigh...

I think there is enough demand in this neighborhood for a laid back, Starbucks replacement with free Wifi and comfortable seating.  Unfortunately, I think the rising rents have precluded these from being viable businesses in this part of town. 

That doesn't seem right. There are neighborhoods with significantly higher rents that have coffee shops with free wifi and comfortable seating (see Grounded for a good example).

That doesn't seem right.  There are neighborhoods with significantly higher rents that have coffee shops with free wifi and comfortable seating (see Grounded for a good example).

I have no idea what the owners of Grounded are paying for rent but I can only assume if DTUT could have signed a new lease while continuing to remain profitable, they would have opted to stay in business.

Many of the new establishments on the UES are bars and/or wine bars. The reality is that people who linger in bars will likely buy several drinks (with a very high profit margin per drink) while those who linger in comfy coffee houses might make only one purchase during their visit.

One way or the other, it would be nice to have someplace other than MRohrs in the neighborhood.

Tipsy