• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch near the museum

lfabio2007

I haven't seen a topic so I opened a new one. Any ideas for brunch after going to the Renoir exhibition on Sunday? When it was mentioned that Snack Bar stopped serving brunch (did they go back to it? It's on their website), matthewj suggested that it's a difficult segment to tap into. So there should be plenty of offers: where to go, considering there will be eight of us not all of whom are tremendously adventurous?

Here are my two top choices in the neighborhood. Since it's a party of eight, I'd recommend reservations:

London Grill at Fairmount & 23rd. Probably one of the city's best neighborhood restaurants.

Jack's Firehouse, Fairmount near 22nd. Great setting.

Another possibility would be Rembrandt's, Aspen & 23rd; when the food is good, it's very, very good. Alas, consistency is not it's virtue.

I'd avoid Illuminaire: the pizza has gone downhill, and everything else is just so-so.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Here are my two top choices in the neighborhood. Since it's a party of eight, I'd recommend reservations:

London Grill at Fairmount & 23rd. Probably one of the city's best neighborhood restaurants.

Jack's Firehouse, Fairmount near 22nd. Great setting.

Another possibility would be Rembrandt's, Aspen & 23rd; when the food is good, it's very, very good. Alas, consistency is not it's virtue.

I'd avoid Illuminaire: the pizza has gone downhill, and everything else is just so-so.

Not Bishop's Collar at 24th and Fairmount? I had brunch there a couple of years ago and remember liking it.

l'oca recently opened for brunch, too--by recently i mean like two weeks ago.  i have no information on the quality thereof, but it's there.

Haven't been there for brunch yet. Was there once for dinner in early November. It's a fine addition to the neighborhood, but the room is much too noisy.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

So we went! And Renoir was very good, highly recommended, incidentally, as usual the museum does a very good job of actually presenting exhibits. Quite a few of my countrymen could learn a thing or two or 177. But I digress.

We also went to the London Grill for brunch. There were eight of us, all told.

Food went from the spinach/ricotta gnudi with bresaola and guanciale (good, but a little overdried by the oven) to a very custardy french toast (very much more custard than french toast) to a GIGANTIC beet salad to some standard fare eggs benedict.

A good, no surprises place for brunch.