• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brother Jimmy's

Fat Guy

I think Brother Jimmy's makes pretty good ribs and great pulled pork -- you just have to find a time when it's not filled with annoying frat-boys.

Luckily I am in Brother Jimmy's delivery radius. But it's almost double the price of BBQ, which places it in a different category for me.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What the heck does prise mean?

Brother Jimmy's info:

http://www.brotherjimmys.com/legend/

Best deal in the place = rib tips

Barbecue is rarely hot; it's usually warm. BJ's is no exception. Gosh, do they even use ceramic plates? They may be paper. I can't recall.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I never even knew you could use prize as a substitute for pry, but there it is definition number five in Webster's. I learn something new every day.

I think Brother Jimmy's makes pretty good ribs and great pulled pork -- you just have to find a time when it's not filled with annoying frat-boys.

oh my god i walked into brother jimmy's once and had to walk out because the crowd was so annoying and the service so horrible. it was 9/11/2001, but the people where too much even for me!

and i'm confused, are we talking about "dallas BBQ" here? and if so, have they changed their name?

The discussion on the BBQ, The Restaurant thread led me to order from Brother Jimmy's last night. I hadn't done so in awhile and I had forgotten what a decent job BJ's does. It's quite unpleasant to visit the restaurant proper, but luckily barbecue travels as well as any food. If you're lucky enough to be in the delivery area of the 92nd Street "Bait Shack" location, there are two menu items you can't get at the others: the "bucket" of rib tips and the "bucket" of wings (the bucket is actually a large rectangular foil container). The rib tips are my favorite menu item, and at ten dollars and change the order is good for two meals. The smoky flavor is evident and the meat is quite moist, tender, and lacking in any sort of sweet sticky basting sauce.

http://www.brotherjimmys.com/legend/

The wings are good - I've also had a really good pulled pork sandwich. The food is much better at this location (92nd Street) than at the other two locations - 78th and 2nd (I think) and on the west side.

I also ate raw oysters at this place once - either I am brave or I was drunk.

johnjohn

Yep.  I just looked at some of the pictures.  Okay, next question, is the outlet at 72nd and 2nd likely to be as good?

yeah, it's not classy like jimmy's corner.

hey, uhhh, what about that *other* BBQ place, down on about 18th and park ave?? duke's it's called. i go there every now and again, and while i'm no bbq expert, it's a "pleasant" place. to me anyway.

• 10 months later...

I've always had my doubts about New York City barbeque restaurants owned by Israelis. I mean, foie gras I could see, but barbeque?????

Then again, I did fall for the story about Terry Mangram and so I used to eat at the Hog Pit when I worked nearby. Not real barbeque, but not bad; at least the greens there were nicely meaty.

I'm shocked to find out that Brother Jimmy's is actually a place to get decent food. I always assumed it was just another place for over-grown frat guys to get wasted.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I've always had my doubts about New York City barbeque restaurants owned by Israelis.  I mean, foie gras I could see, but barbeque?????

Maybe they're from the South of Israel.

Then again, I did fall for the story about Terry Mangram and so I used to eat at the Hog Pit when I worked nearby. Not real barbeque, but not bad; at least the greens there were nicely meaty.

Terry is an Israeli? Who woulda thunk!

Something like this.

And this.

Go.

*blink*

Positive notices for Dallas BBQ on eGullet? Whoa. Did they change management over the last year or something? Because when my S.O. dragged me there for drinks and food with her coworkers 2 months ago (the 8th st location), it was quite possibly the worst meal I've ever paid for in New York: taste-free chicken wings, sickeningly sweet ribs, soggy fries; all obviously frozen, microwaved and heatlamped. Service, atmosphere and cleanliness levels all appropriate for a college cafeteria. Oh, and most of the menu and the waitstaff's attention seemed to be devoted to flogging their enormous yet conspicuously dilute frozen/blended drinks.

Literally would sooner eat Shea Stadium hot dogs...or at the Broadway T.G.I.F. (shudder) before going back.

I've always had my doubts about New York City barbeque restaurants owned by Israelis.  I mean, foie gras I could see, but barbeque?????

Maybe they're from the South of Israel.

Terry is an Israeli? Who woulda thunk!

Oh, shit, I did it again: inadequate transition. Sorry.

No, no, the mention of Terry had nothing to do with the Israelis. It's just that years and years ago there was a story about her background, that I now suspect might have been as made-up as the "Georgia Barbecue Council" or whatever the name of the supposed prize-giver named on the sign in the window. Of course, I could be wrong, and she could very well be a former model who learned to cook from her granny in East Frog Holler or wherever.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if any of you are football fans or not, but Bro J's offers what I consider to be the best deal for armchair quarterbacks, espcecially those from out of state who can't find their beloved Seahawks or Rams or Packers on the tube.

Every Sunday, Bro J's offers all-you-can-eat ribs (try all three varieties) and all-you-can-drink beer and a dozen different footballs games for $20. You definitely need a reservation; call and request a table near your home team's TV.

And set aside some time afterwards for a Sunday afternoon nap.