• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salone del Vino 2007 in Turin

SWISS_CHEF

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!! Swiss Chef....know that I am there with you, in spirit!!

Tell us: wine themes? What's hot? What's not? Are the Europeans also talking about upward creeping alcohol contents? This year's vendemmia, will it be a good year?

Prices rising, or fairly static?

Wow!!! Swiss Chef....know that I am there with you, in spirit!!

Tell us: wine themes? What's hot? What's not? Are the Europeans also talking about upward creeping alcohol contents? This year's vendemmia, will it be a good year?

Prices rising, or fairly static?

I would call the theme "Distinctly Italian and mostly Piemontese". Very little foreign juice was on the floor but I got the impression that the few stands offering vino straniero were very popular. I mean after all, how much Barolo can you possibly drink? (I don't recommend answering that)

What's hot what's not... big fat reds served by blonde women with large breasts seem to be all the rage. White wines and sweet wines are not. French Champagne was very hot.

2007 seems to be a good year according to all the wine makers but it depends on the grape. I have heard stories of big alcohol numbers like 2003. Barbera will be good, Nebbiolo less so because of the heat. Lots of whites just suck this year.

Prices seem stable. Given the strength of the Euro they would be idiots to increase prices. If anything, they seem very interested in talking about big volume at low prices.

General impression:

Well it was my first time for this event. It was nice but not earth-moving. I got the distinct feeling that many of the major players were not participating (because of Slow Food?). I also got the feeling that they could have handled a lot more exhibitors but couldn't fill the rooms. There was an ocean of mediocre wines on the floor and things were rather unorganized. There was also a large section devoted to sweets. Lots of 40 euro/kilo chocolates for sale here.

Funny thing:

We almost ran head first into Paolo Massobrio. He looks just like he does in the books. I think he was lost too.