• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Finest kind

Florida Jim

Salad Nicoise:

1999 Dom. Dujac, Chambolle-Musigny:

Opened last night this was completely closed – no smell, little fruit and no finish. We stuck the cork back in, left it on the counter until lunch today and then opened it.

Praise Bacchus, what a difference!

Full black raspberry, mineral, dark spice and unmistakable Chambolle nose; very concentrated in the mouth with excellent cut, flavors that follow the nose and that remarkable sense of place that Chambolle delivers in the hands of someone who “knows” – knows what they are doing and knows of what I speak. This wine is complex but integrated, harmonious and yet it shows well focused flavors and the finish is long, supple and shows its breeding. A pretty astounding change in about 15 hours and one that makes me think I will age these awhile – that and the fact that, at release, this was pretty oaky; now it shows very little influence from wood.

13% alcohol, imported by Wilson-Daniels and about $57 on release; worth it and then some – a grand cru-like experience..

Drinking this while eating the salad on the back porch on a clear, breezy, pristine 72 degree day here in the mountains of NC – ‘finest kind.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com