• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help With Wine Order/ Dinner

Bill Miller

We are having guests either later this year or early next year and are planning a fall/winter dinner. The highlite will be the wine pairing. We are considering two flights--an Italian varietal or a California Cabernet comparison. Our favorite is pinot noir, but we love barolo and others too. I have arranged the order of service I believe to be best, first to last--I need your input to adjust or even change some of the wines. I have a small, young wine cellar so they have been stored well. Here are my thoughts from first to last---

San Vicenti Chianti Classico Riserva-04

Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino Riserva-01

Cavallotto Barolo Bricco Boschis--96

or

Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cab--99

Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace Cab--04

Caymus Reserve Napa Cab--04 (The Caymus 04 is ready and great!)

I'll take any and all the advice I can get--Thanks!

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Will the highlight be the wines or the wine pairings? For the latter, maybe could share some of your menu ideas.

We share a love of wine with these friends so the wine will be the star and we see them so seldom (they live halfway across the country). The food is very important--1st course will probably be a creamy chanterelle soup and the main course will be a 2 inch dry aged rib eye (choice) with a ground porcini/sugar/salt/pepper rub, served with roasted potatoes. Everything else is up in the air. I believe this menu would go with either wine list. We want our guests to choose the wine. I am most concerned about the order of service with the wine.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.