• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foie for Five

mod*betty

As a representative of Artisan Farmers Alliance, an organization working with Philly Chefs for Choice, I'd like to clear a few things up, for those of you who may have begun the foiecathalon, or who might be waiting till the weekend.

The event lasts from October 1st through October 7th. Some restaurants backed out, but the majority remain.

Shola Olunloyo of Studio Kitchen will be participating in the ways he

can. Shola is a personal chef, and does not have a restaurant. But he

is very supportive of Philadelphia Chefs for Choice mission, and will

prepare foie gras many different ways all week, and post photos of his

creations on his blog. He will provide information about foie gras on

the blog, open a discussion on the subject, and will give AFA pamphlets

to his clients.

Shola Olunloyo website:

http://studiokitchen.typepad.com/studiokitchen/

Marc Vetri, esteemed Philadelphia restaurateur, supports the mission of

PCFC, and his restaurant Vetri will be serving Freedom Foie for Five.

Since the menu concept of his other restaurant Osteria does not include

foie gras, he has declined to serve it there this week. However, in

solidarity, Osteria will have AFA foie gras pamphlets available in the

restaurant.

N.3rd has joined the effort, as per Chef Peter Dunmire. They will be

serving Freedom Foie for Five, and providing information all week.

Please contact me with any questions at info@artisanfarmers.org .

How long is this promotion going on?  Is it just this week or all through October? I'd love to plan a Foiecathalon for a night off.  Given the confusion I'd call ahead and check to be certain our chosen target restaurants were actually participating.  We could plan a little circuit and hit all the places on/west of Rittenhouse for a foie appy in each locale.  What say ye?

I call the foie! Count me in.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

If the promotion is over on the 7th then I'll only be able to do it for lunch at this point, as I'm working the rest of the week. <sigh> I wish I'd known, and I would have raced around last night on my night off. If anyone wants to meet for lunch foie and perhaps a mini-tour, if not a foiecathalon, PM me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie, if you can make it in to Matyson for lunch, maybe they'll be serving something like this:

gallery_23992_5224_26275.jpg

We got it at dinner, and it was quite excellent, and a very generous portion for $5.

And the foiecathalon: we were amused, impressed, and humbled, by the four people who came in as we were finishing up, all wearing bright red "We Love Foie Gras" T-Shirts. They had indeed been doing a foie crawl, this was their 5th place of the night. So it is possible... I think they said their fave version had been at Bar Lyonnaise, downstairs from Le Bec Fin, but I'm not sure if that was before or after they had sampled the Matyson version.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com