• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

R.I.P. Chick Delorenzo's

Jeff L

It is with deep sadness that I report on the passing of one of Trenton's finest pizza men, Chick Delorenzo. He started the venerable Delorenzo's tomato pie over 60 years ago and it still remains the best pie in the state today in many folks opinion(including mine)

I had the pleasure of knowing him while he was still turning out those pies in the oven so many years ago. He will be missed but it is heartening to know that both his son-in-law and grandson keep the tradition moving forward.

Coincidentally, we stopped in for pizza on Thursday night and heard that Chick was not in good shape, but this still remains a shock. The full, front-page story in the Trenton Times can be read HERE.

The words "giant" and "legend" are tossed around so liberally these days, but not in this case. A true giant and a legend has passed; godspeed, Chick.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"