• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TPC At Sawgrass - Ponte Vedra Beach

robyn

The TPC at Sawgrass is known primarily as a golf venue. After the tournament ended last year - the old club house was torn down. A new club house was built. And what a clubhouse it is. Very large. Very grand. And - lo and behold - it even has very good food now. Both casual and fine dining. And catering too. We play golf there - and have eaten many meals there since it opened - lunch - dinner - brunch. The best so far was a special dinner the chef made for us for our anniverary last week.

The club is semi-private. It is open to members. For golfers - there are several membership options which are quite reasonable considering the facilities (we are golf members). For non-golfers - there is now a new membership category - a social/dining membership. It costs $500 a year - and - for that $500 - you get a $300 food credit (I don't know if this is an introductory offer). For anyone who lives in the area - I think this is a terrific value. Not only do members have access to the general dining facilities - there are special food/wine events for members too. In addition to members - guests at the Marriott on golf packages can use the facility (don't know about Marriott guests who don't have golf packages). I am very happy about this addition to the Ponte Vedra Beach dining scene. Anyone who is interested can contact the TPC for additional information.

Interesting! Sounds like a bargain for access to good eating. What are the golf membership rates? We are down in FL several times a year...do they have a "distance" membership?

Edited by gfweb (log)

There are a lot of different golf options. One is an "Associate Membership" which costs $350/year and apparently includes one round of golf at the Stadium Course. I'm not sure what the terms and conditions are.

Here's the person to contact for additional information.

BTW - I also found out that the main dining room is open to the public - members and non-members. That's new. Robyn

BTW - I also found out that the main dining room is open to the public - members and non-members.  That's new.  Robyn

I was in the clubhouse during The Players and was told that it was only open to members. Maybe the heavy debt load of the new facility made them rethink their position.

Or, it may be as it is at another TPC course in FL where I have a house. The clubhouse, on a limited basis, is open to the public during the off-season. Non-members, who happen to have homes on the property, can use the facility. It's not open to the general public. Helps support the operation somewhat during a much slower period.

Edited by dls (log)

Yes - that was the story in May. Then there was an "open house introductory period" in June. Then it was open to members only. Now the main dining room is public.

I think it's still a somewhat fluid situation. The TPC is located in a portion of the Sawgrass community. Don't know anything about the legal documents between the 2 - because I don't live in Sawgrass. But I suspect Sawgrass and the TPC have been going back and forth on this. FWIW - Sawgrass has 2 parts - and the 2 parts even have issues between them (like gate decals which work at the part west of A1A don't work on the part east of A1A and vice versa).

In any event - members have access to dining at places other than the main dining room - like the fine dining room scheduled to open next month - and various member food events (lots of wine tasting dinners scheduled for the fall). And golf privileges depending on membership type.

On our part - we have something called a Valley Membership. It now costs $2400 a year for a whole family. Full dining/social membership. Plus we play the Valley Course for cart fees only (I only play 9 holes at a time - that's $20/person). And the Stadium Course (way over my head) at reduced rates. I'm sure these prices seem ridiculous to some people who play golf in other parts of the country.

If you get here for the tournament next year - or want to visit some other time to play golf (not possible during TPC week) - give a holler. Robyn

There are a lot of different golf options.  One is an "Associate Membership" which costs $350/year and apparently includes one round of golf at the Stadium Course.  I'm not sure what the terms and conditions are.

Here's the person to contact for additional information.

BTW - I also found out that the main dining room is open to the public - members and non-members.  That's new.  Robyn

Thanks for your help. Sounds like a good deal. Esp a good restaurant tip.