• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Union Station, Los Angeles

Kouign Aman

Looks like visits to LA via Union Station are in the cards.

Yesterday a coworker and I arrived at Union Station at 1:30.

We stopped at the cafe in the station, "Trax", and asked if they could accomodate us given our 2:00 pm train time.

The waiter asked if we were ok with a limited menu, seated us, pointed out three items on the menu that could be managed that fast, and had the food to us within 6 minutes. From initial question to walking out the door was under 20 min.

And we enjoyed the meal: roast beet salad , curried chicken sandwich. The bread on the table was enjoyable (one seemed to be tomato bread). I wish the butter was salted, but that was easy to remedy.

We'll be back, to see if the rest of the menu holds up (work schedule permitting).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

The Los Angeles China Town is just 2 to 3 short blocks away from Union Station. Literally just across the street. There can be some good eats to be found, like a quick bowl of wonton noodle or something (like live lobster?). But probably would be longer than 6 minutes. :biggrin:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Interesting I just saw something on TV about turn of the century restaurants for the rail road traveler. Supposedly these people were seated, fed and back on the train within 20 minuets.

The conductor would take orders and keep a tally of the total of each offering. Then they would whistle ahead to the restaurant.

Ya know that is about the only thing I use my cell phone for. Ordering food on my way to pick it up. I lead a simple life.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

The Los Angeles China Town is just 2 to 3 short blocks away from Union Station.  Literally just across the street.  There can be some good eats to be found, like a quick bowl of wonton noodle or something (like live lobster?).  But probably would be longer than 6 minutes.  :biggrin:

We learned something about timing when visiting that group - I think we'll be able to avoid the total crunch next time.

Besides, we cant be the only folks who use Amtrack for travel.

I didnt realize Chinatown was so close. I have many fond memories of eating there, but not many since I moved south. Oh way cool. This sounds like an adventure waiting to be had.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Depending on how much time is available, there is also the famous Philippe's Home of the French Dip (an institution NOT to be missed!), all of Olvera Street, and Spring Street Smokehouse BBQ.

All are within a block or two's walk.

I didnt realize Chinatown was so close. I have many fond memories of eating there, but not many since I moved south. Oh way cool. This sounds like an adventure waiting to be had.

When you walk out of the Union Station, walk along Alameda Street (to your right), cross it and walk along Ord Street. LA Chinatown is along N Spring Street, N Broadway and N Hill Street. There are some plaza kind of shopping complex around Ord/Hill/Broadway. I used to have dim sum at the restaurant there (not sure of the English name). Something that translates to mirama or something. But I haven't been to LA Chinatown for ages. Can't tell you the most current ones. I believe Sam Woo, serving very good Cantonese stir-fries, BBQ items and seafood and wonton noodles, is still there. If I remember it correctly it is on Hill Street, about Alpine.

LA Chinatown is more spread out than others. Hey, we are in Southern Cal. We are *supposed* to drive everywhere!!! :laugh:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Inside the Los Angeles Union Station is the restaurant Traxx. it's been there for over ten years. Very popular place for lunch. I just happen to eat there Wed. I had the Waldorf salad. Pretty good.

Across the street from Union Station as you cross Alameda is Olvera Street. There is one place I would recommend: La Luz de Dia, the closest restaurant from the gazebo. You stand in line, order your food, pay the cashier ... Then, little abuelitas (grandmas) take your tray of food and find a table for you to sit down and eat.

Philippe's is located on Alameda, about 1-2 blocks from the Chevron station along Alameda.

CBS Seafood Restaurant is located on the corner of N Spring St. and Ord, just up the block from Philippe's. CBS has a Chinese deli where you can order dim sum to go (take away).

Mayflower Seafood Restaurant is located on N Spring St. near CBS Seafood Restaurant. The location is the site of the former Mon Kee Restaurant long time ago.

Near the intersection of Cesar Chavez and N Spring St. (one block away from the Chevron station along Cesar Chavez) are several restaurants: Carolina-style barbecue, Thai, Peruvian, Mexican, Filipino ...

All I can say is, "Been there, done that ...", because I happen to work in a tall building behind Union Station.

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...