• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

Many years ago (hard to believe but it was probably about 40 years now) when I went to Portugal I was sad and a bit shocked to find out that one really cannot buy the best Mateus outside of that country - it is all kept 'in house' so to speak. That was the beginning of my disillusionment. I haven't drunk Mateus since (but that's ok since my tastes have changed anyway).

Sad but true, I think that happens in most countries that make goods that the locals like and have traditionally held dear as being indicative of their 'culture' - the exported version is of the lowest quality possible .. the dregs, so to speak. Add to that the eruption of corruption in every corner of commercial enterprises - and government - and one can have little trust in any label any more. If they can 'cut it', they will.

Buy local - do the same as they do if possible. Wish I didn't have to say that but if you don't these days, you will spend more money than needed and be scammed as well. I no longer purchase oils from Europe, especially since, if I want GMO canola oil, I can buy that cheaper here in Canada.

Deryn

Deryn

Many years ago (hard to believe but it was probably about 40 years now) when I went to Portugal I was sad and a bit shocked to find out that one really cannot buy the best Mateus outside of that country - it is all kept 'in house' so to speak. That was the beginning of my disillusionment. I haven't drunk Mateus since (but that's ok since my tastes have changed anyway).

Sad but true, I think that happens in most countries that make goods that the locals like and have traditionally held dear as being indicative of their 'culture' - the exported version is of the lowest quality possible .. the dregs, so to speak. Add to that the eruption of corruption in every corner of commercial enterprises - and government - and one can have little trust in any label any more. If they can 'cut it', they will.

Buy local - do the same as they do if possible. Wish I didn't have to say that but if you don't these days, you will spend more money than needed and be scammed as well. I no longer purchase oils from Europe, especially since, if I want GMO canola oil, I can buy that cheap here in Canada.

Deryn

Deryn

Buy local - do the same as they do if possible. Wish I didn't have to say that but if you don't these days, you will spend more money than needed and be scammed as well. I no longer purchase oils from Europe.