• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Perfection

Florida Jim

Pasta with a pureed sauce of fresh grape tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil and almonds:

2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos Rozet Vnyd.:

Attractive red fruit aromas with hints of earth and spice; supple, flavorful and moderately complex with excellent balance, etched flavors and good length. Showing young but has the potential for greater complexity as the syrah, grenache, counoise blend continues to develop. 14.2% alcohol and about $27, full retail; I’d buy it again.

Chosen to compare with a recent nebbiolo opened with the same dish. While this was balanced against the dish and complimentary, that was not the synergy of the nebbiolo.

Lunch with Claude and Anna-Marie:

Gazpacho with cheese biscuits:

2005 Foreau, Vouvray Sec:

This is beautiful wine and although it is very young and shows it, it also delivers a full sense of place and great flavors. One of those wines I wish I had cases of. 13.2% alcohol, imported by Rosenthal and about $29, very worth it.

Chosen because Claude asked for Vouvray. Claude had invited us for lunch and prepared all the food so I followed his suggestions for wine. This was a world record match and one that I will never forget. There is a stony edge to the wine that worked perfectly with the earthy character of the soup and the flavors seem to weave together. I don’t think I have ever had a wine and food pairing that worked as well. The wine is truly great; the pairing is other-worldly.

Crab salad:

2005 Dom. Vissoux, Fleuire Poncie:

Probably my favorite wine right now and one that always delivers fresh, bursting fruit flavors and yet remains true to its terroir; there really is no missing that this is Fleurie. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Weygandt-Mtezler and about $20; I bought tons.

Chosen because Claude thought that cru Beaujolais went well with lobster so it would go well with crab. And while I question the premise, his first choice had been so astoundingly good, who am I to argue. ‘Missed by a mile.

The salad was good with the Vouvray (I had saved some) but did not work with the Beaujolais at all. But I saved one of the cheese biscuits and once we were done with the salad, I ate the biscuit with the Beaujolais and it worked very well.

For dessert we had homemade Ovaltine sorbet and no wine. The sorbet was stellar – who’d a thunk?.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

jim- just wondering if you planned on holding the better part of your '05 vissoux wines or just drinking them whenever the mood suited you?

i bought about 2 mixed cases of vissoux wines , but mostly haven't touched them in a while.

also, do you have access to the pierre chermette beaujolais '05 in your market? this is excellent for the near term and about $10 or so by teh case.

jim- just wondering if you planned on holding the better part of your '05 vissoux wines or just drinking them whenever the mood suited you?

i bought about 2 mixed cases of vissoux wines , but mostly haven't touched them in a while.

also, do you have access to the pierre chermette beaujolais '05 in your market? this is excellent for the near term and about $10 or so by teh case.

I bought a great deal of the 2005's from Vissoux including the Moulin-a-Vent, the Fleurie Poncie and the Cuvee Traditionalle (is that the one you were talking about?).

I will age the MaV and a few bottles of the Tradiotionalle (because I have found they do better in a year) but I bought so much of the Poncie that I will drink it when I want it. I'm sure some will last into later years, but I adore this wine and I'm not going to forego drinking it just to see if it will age.

I have plenty of other wine I am aging.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

jim- i have the cuvee traditionalle. there is also a basic beaujolais that is labelled Pierre Chermette Beaujolais. ( i think a few years back this had a wax closure) it is drinking wonderfully now and is my "current house wine". you should seek it out, i think you'd really like it. i bought quite a bit of it. although, i don't think it will have much cellar life. maybe a couple years at most. there is a bit left at chambers. i think i know another source with a slightly better price. pm me if interested.

jim- i have the cuvee traditionalle. there is also a basic beaujolais that is labelled Pierre Chermette Beaujolais. ( i think a few years back this had a wax closure) it is drinking wonderfully now and is my "current house wine". you should seek it out, i think you'd really like it. i bought quite a bit of it. although, i don't think it will have much cellar life. maybe a couple years at most. there is a bit left at chambers.  i think i know another source with a slightly better price. pm me if interested.

Thanks for the tip but I have enough Beaujolais - and for me, that is saying something.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com