• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dish: opinions please

dbrociner

Tommy, by "simple" I meant not overdone.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Tommy, by "simple" I meant not overdone.

fair enough. i always found the food at Dish quite complex by nature. well-executed, but complex nonetheless. in fact, the last dish i had there, which was about 2 years ago at the bar, was tuna carpaccio, which seemed a bit too overdone for my taste. lots of "stuff" which distracted from the tuna. that's probably a judgment call though.

i think at this point they could use a good dose of PR. if they're still executing dishes at the same level they were a few years back, Dish is certainly not to be ignored. holding it back, in addition to practically no marketing as far as i can tell, is the fact that's it not BYO. although their wine list, as i remember it, was well-selected, i get the impression that a bunch of byo places have popped up over the past few years that might be stealing a bit of business. that's just a guess though.

i have to wonder if they still get a lot of business from the music-loving hipsters that filled the bar practically every night when Bruce still owned it? i know that was a draw for me and my group of friends...none of whom have so much as mentioned the place in a long while.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...