• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Brief notes from the road

Florida Jim

Diane and I arrived at our place in the mountains of western NC yesterday to 60 degree temps., a light rain and we took our first lunch out on the porch. It’s so quiet here . . . nice to be back.

We stopped at several friends houses along the way and had the following wines:

2006 Ravelli, Soave Classico:

Light, fresh and plenty of zip; a good accompaniment to renewing old acquaintances and some fish chowder. About $7 and worth it.

2006 Con Class, Verdejo:

Lots of peach tones and a bit more body than the Soave; good varietal character and good with pasta. About $11; I’d buy it again.

2005 Philppe Faury, St. Joseph:

A full-flavored and terroir nuanced Northern Rhone that couldn’t get much better; complex, deep, just slightly rustic and showing real class. About $25 and definitely worth it.

2005 Ravelli, Montepulciano d’Abruzo:

Medium weight, easy drinking but good character; a very balanced and charming wine. About $6; more than worth it.

2006 Espelt Vailet, Blanc:

Mostly grenache blanc, I think, this was light, airy, citric and pleasant. About $9; I’d buy it again.

2006 Ercavio, Blanc:

100% airen; very easy to drink; slightly citric and a little pineapple, nice mineral accents and longer than expected. Pretty good for a grape I never heard of before. About $8; I’d buy it again.

2005 Fessardiere, Muscadet:

Textbook Muscadet with sea air, lemon smells and flavors, cleansing acidity and lovely balance. Good stuff. About $11; I’d buy it again.

2006 Du Pouy, Blanc:

A little musky with white fruit and mineral elements, medium weight and length. Okay, but not as bright or charming as some of the other whites in this note. About $7; probably not again.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com