• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eats in Aldeburgh

Mr O and I have had it with the city this week and our nightmare of a never ending renovation of a house is not helping - totally fed up

I phoned about 15 hotels all over the place today from Brighton to Burford and managed to get two nights this Friday and Saturday at the Brudenell Hotel in Aldeburgh (for an extortionate price I might add but beggars can't be choosers)

I've performed the usual searches and it seems like this place might actually have some reasonably decent culinary offerings. The following seemed well thought of:

Regatta

Munchies

A fish a chip place but don't know the name

Any further recommendations? Notwithstanding of course that it's already Wednesday eve so anywhere difficult to book will be a non starter

Would appreciate help - relaxed dining please as per my frazzled demeanour :wacko:

I've performed the usual searches and it seems like this place might actually have some reasonably decent culinary offerings.  The following seemed well thought of:

Regatta

Munchies

A fish a chip place but don't know the name

Any further recommendations? Notwithstanding of course that it's already Wednesday eve so anywhere difficult to book will be a non starter

Would appreciate help - relaxed dining please as per my frazzled demeanour  :wacko:

It was sometime back now but when I had a day at Thane Prince's cookery school I had a pleasant - very relaxed dinner in The Lighthouse www.lighthouserestaurant.co.uk

You are going at one of the busiest times of the year for Aldeburgh - school hols have just started so the place will be crawling.

The Lighthouse is well known and sought after for what it does, have not eaten there personally.

Restaurant 152 on the high street

The Regatta

In Snape which is before Aldeburgh on the A12 there is the Crown and also the Boot & Somthing which are safe brasserie style places.

If you have wheels it is well worth going to the Crown & Castle at Orford (there is a thred here somewhere) and also the Orford Smokery.

Or north of Aldeburgh towards Wabbleswick is The Anchor run by Mark & Sophie Dorber. Mark previously ran the White Horse in Parson's Green (mecca of beer) and I hear the food is very pleasant, local and fresh. Wabbleswick is very pretty - more so than Southwold & Aldeburgh.

Have fun.

Edited by bakerestates (log)

I'd second the Orford recs. Have had excellent meals in both the Oysterage and the Crown and Castle. And it's a nice place for a post prandial wander.

Fish and chips in Dunwich are worthwhile if you're in the area.

Third the Orford recs an second the wonderful Dunwich tea rooms fish and chips.

Dunwich is a a village that has disappeared under the sea. For many years it was a "rotten borough" in that it still elected a member of Parliament, even though there were only one or two voters. Now there is a car park, some fishing boats (and shacks selling fish) and bracing walks before or after the delicious super fresh fish and chips from the tea rooms on the beach.

I still remember the dover sole and chips

Thanks for all the info I appreciate it

I did actually try for a room at the Crown and Castle but as expected they are fully booked up. I might try for lunch/dinner though. Any idea how much a cab woudl be from Orford to Aldeburgh (or is it walking distance - we aren't afraid of a long walk)?

We were planning to leave the car at home..

Walking would be quite a trek, I think - I have a vague memory that you have to go inland to come back out. Cab would be the thing - probably a few quid, but you could make a day of it. Lunch at the Oysterage and dinner at the Crown and Castle, with the afternoon spent pottering about in the castle ruins and down at the harbour. A lovely day, if the weather was kind to you.